Episode 22: Two Steps Forward, One Step Back

Start from the beginning

I opened my eyes and looked at myself. I didn't look any different.

(Y/N): So...is there supposed to be a change?

....

(Y/N): Hello? Kanade?

....Silence. Guess she's gone again.

I sigh before opening my menu and looking through it. I wonder if something changed...

Oh, something did.

A new ability... actually, a new tab in my ability section.

So I've unlocked transformations. And our trump card is one of them....

....

A five day cooldown!? There's absolutely no way it's down for five days!

That shit sucks!....Oh...I can upgrade it. Well I have alot of skill points so might as well.

....

There. It's maxed out. Now I can use it every other day. But, guess it's on cooldown still since I just unlocked this tab. Now, for that other one.

...."Ignite"...

But it requires me to be transformed first.

So it's an upgrade for it?

So, if I'm thinking correctly, I have my base form without my armor. Then I have level 1, which is with my armor. So then "level 2" would be this new things from the Curse Series....

Wait I need a phrase to even use level 1? What is it then? It doesn't say....

Oh for fucks sake....

....

If only Kanade could tell me more about this stuff...

Anyway, I should get back to the village. I've been out for a bit now.

As I walk out of the cave, I see that the sun is starting to set. So, I should be getting back to...

Huh?...

Over the village...

....Aincrad.

I grit my teeth and quicken my pace back twords the village. If Aincrad is suddenly here, then it's nothing but bad news.

As I get closer to the village, my status shows me a bunch of yellow health bars. From what I know about games, yellow means that their only agressive when you attack them...

But, I do see one red health bar pass them.

To get past the crowd, I crouch down and jump over them. As I do, I look down and see the red bar standing over...Shirabe? And her life is low. The hell happened?

I land behind Shirabe and stare the person down. I can't really get a visual on their appearance, but their voice sounds feminine. And it's also not hard to tell since her armor is more feminine in appearance.

???: So, there she is. Is this the famous hero I've heard about?

She grabbed Shirabe's hair and pulled her from the ground.

???: I thought you said she wasn't here.

Shirabe: If you have business with anyone... it's me. Your just the queen's lap dog.

The woman punched her in the stomach before throwing her to the side. I quickly got over to her and caught her. I then set her down before walking forward.

(Y/N): Who are you? You got some nerve.

The woman didn't respond. She only drew her sword. I sigh and summon my gauntlets. If she wants a fight, she'll get one.

She swiftly closed the distance between us. I caught her blade with my hand as she swung at me. In this moment, I kicked her in her chest, causing her to slide back. But, she quickly recovered and ran at me again. This time, as I raise my arms to block, she's quickly gone from my vision. I'm surprised when, suddenly, I have a cut on my cheek. I bearly took any damage from it, but how she was able to suddenly hit me is strange.

But, I'm not able to think as her blade is suddenly to my throat.

???: Is that all you got? I heard that you would be a challenge.

(Y/N): Why would I need a reason to go all out against you? I could easily beat you and you know it.

She stayed silent for a while before moving her blade away.

???: You are correct. But, I was sent here to gauge if your still a threat to the queen.

When I saw that her weapon was away from my body, I stomped the ground. A yellow wave came from my foot that slightly took her off the ground. I quickly turned and punched the side of her helmet and threw her into the crowd of guards. As she flew into them, I saw a good handful vanish into blue mist, and I gained a level from it.

For most of the knights that didn't die, I saw their health bars go from yellow to red as they ran at me.

I pulled the gauntlet back on my right hand. Then, I heard the sound of an engine. I looked and saw something spinning in my gauntlet. I pulled my arm back and punched the first person that got close to me. I then squeezed my fist to let my pulled back gauntlet loose. This made a giant burst of wind that immediately killed the one I punched, but also the rest of the bunch, leaving only the woman from before.

She slowly stood up and readied her sword.

???: Impressive. Truly amazing. Your powers grew greatly between the Waves.

(Y/N): Enough games. Who are you? And what do you want with me?

She stabbed her sword into the ground before she touched her wrist. Her armor slowly vanished. I prepared myself...but slowly lowered my fist...

N-no way...she's...

Tsubasa: I am Tsubasa, head of the Royal Order

Tsubasa: I am Tsubasa, head of the Royal Order. And I am to bring you in under orders of the queen herself.

Of all the people that could be my enemy...

Of course it's Tsubasa....