23 - Interlude [2]

Start from the beginning

"What?" Blake shrugs. "I just guessed. Your crying confirmed my guess."

"Damn!"

Shaking her head and laughing at my reaction, Blake stepps away from the forge and sat at a nearby table, giving me space to work.

"So, is it correct for me to assume it's Jaune you don't want to disappoint?"

"Hmmmm." My irritated groan was enough for her.

As soon as I noticed the metal's hue changing due to the heat, I removed it from the furnace with trembling hands and placed it on the anvil. With my right hand, I reached for the next tool and began hammering.

CLINK! CLANG!

"What are you doing there?" the bored brunette asks.

"I'm hammering this ingot after heating it to shape it the way that I want."

CLINK! CLANG!

"That's obvious." Blake complained. "I want to know what you're making."

"A new blade for Crescent Rose."

CLINK! CLANG!

"That sounds exhausting. Why don't you use one of those hammering machines?"

"Although a mechanical forge hammer is faster and less tiring, I prefer using a regular hammer. Call me crazy, but I prefer to feel the metal shaping with my own hands. That way, I feel like I have fine control during the process."

CLINK! CLANG!

"Sometimes I forget that besides being a nerd, you're a very skilled blacksmith."

"Thank you." I reply, smiling.

CLINK! CLANG!

"Wait a second..." I stop hammering, realizing the comment. "I'm not a nerd!" I complain, turning to Blake.

In response, Belladonna stares at me with a raised eyebrow.

"If anyone here is a nerd, it's you." I accuse, pointing the hammer at her.

With a face flushed with embarrassment, Blake stood up protesting.

"I'm an appreciator of literary fine arts. But you, you nerd, play video games, read comics, and fantasy books."

"Art?" I asked ironically. "What you read is filthy, FILTHY!"

An uncomfortable silence hung between us, but I decided to turn back and focus on my project.

CLINK! CLANG!

"If what I read is so heinous, why did you borrow 'Dawn Ninja: Twilight Knight'?"

"Yip!" I exclaim, freezing instantly.

"A romance between a young kunoichi and a blond knight with blue eyes."

I freeze, paralyzed with embarrassment.

"And there was another day when I found a photo of Jaune with a drawn beard on his face. Trying to make him look like the Rusted Knight by any chance?"

"Hmmmmm." I started whimpering with my childhood husbando revealed.

It's not my fault, the story of the 'Girl who Fell Through the World' is one of my childhood favorites, and the Rusted Knight is so amazing in it. It's not my fault Jaune reminds me of him.

Amidst my internal confusion, a hand landed on my shoulder.

"It's okay." Blake said, smiling at me. "Everyone has a crush when they reach adolescence. And if he looks like your childhood Husbando, it makes everything more perfect."