A chaotic incident in Sicily (12)

Start from the beginning

He closed his brown eyes for a brief moment, took a deep breath and when he opened them again, the vague red strokes had increased and seemed to have become clearer than before.

"It's my great pleasure to hear a direct praise from you, teacher."

'After tomorrow, I will never lose to that damn deceased again.'

As seeing her fingers rubbing the rim of her coffee cup, Zanelli pushed the sugar jar towards the old lady's hand out of habit.

"Don't consume too much sweets." He advised.

"Uh-huh, I remember."

Mozzoni took two cubes of sugar, put them in her cup of coffee and used the small silver spoon to stir it.

"I'm planning to travel somewhere else, somewhere that's far from this island." She said.

"Why do you want to leave all of a sudden?"

As soon as the question came out of his mouth, the man realized he had stood up from his seat and spoken out loud what he had in his mind.

'Who cares if she chose to stay or leave? That's not my business!' He angrily thought.

"You startled me." She slightly raised her brows.

"I- I'm just really surprised by your announcement."

With an awkward smile, Zanelli returned to his seat and explained about his unusual reaction.

"You seem so strange today." Mozzoni knitted her brows, watching him with a sharp gaze, "Is there anything you are hiding from me?"

"Hahahaha..."

Facing her strong gaze, the man suddenly laughed.

"Your joke is always as lame as usual, Mrs. Mozzoni."

He slowly wiped the non-existent tears in the corner of his right eye.

"How about you? Is there any information you haven't told me yet?"

His cold expression appeared in the blink of an eye.

"...and since when did you begin suspecting me?"

The old woman narrowed her eyes and observed his behavior, which wasn't beyond her expectations.

"Whenever your plan is about to succeed, you'll be a bit hasty than usual. However, you always know how to restrain your emotions well."

"But now, something about you just wasn't right."

Mozzoni looked at the fingers which were tapping on the table at an increasing speed without creating any sound. It could be seen as his unique talent that you wouldn't find out, if you didn't pay attention to him. At the same time, it was also his flaw.

"Why didn't those children know anything about the mysterious arcanum circles I've found?"

After all the years as student and teacher, she didn't have the heart to see her student ruin his career as well as his future ahead, hence she decided to give him another chance to tell the truth.

Unknown to her good intention, Zanelli gave her a sarcastic smile.

"Your current standard was low to the point that you'd rather put your faith in those amateur newcomers than the student who was recognized by you?"

"Oh, I forgot." He slightly shook his head, "You're not the Chief Mozzoni that I once admired and respected anymore."

"Stop beating around the bush, Zanelli." She glared at him.