Chapter 4

It was self-study after the afternoon class at 5 pm. We would have dinner at 6 pm, so we had about an hour to spare. As I turned the mechanical pencil and looked through the problem, I slowly turned my head without thinking. Dae-han place and its surroundings were all empty. Dae-han disappeared after 1 pm. Originally, he was a guy who skipped classes, so the teacher didn't even find him. I don't know where he's going.

Poke, poke.

Someone poked me in the back from behind as I looked at Dae-han seat. I was surprised and shivered. When I turned my head to check, Jung Ji-pil was holding a mechanical pencil. Usually, when Joong Ji-Pil had something to say, he would poke me with the eraser part of the mechanical pencil, but this time he poked me with the sharp edge. As I turned my head with an annoyed face, a notebook came over.

[Tteokbokki, go, go]

I replied with 'okay'. I heard the sound of the notebook moving busily behind and sideways. It was not only me but the other kids also exchanging notes.

After a short while, the bell rang, signaling that it was time for dinner. Jung Ji-pil yelled as if he were a roaring lion.

"Who wants to go eat tteokbokki?!"

"Jung Ji-pil is at it again."

Some people got up and followed Jung Ji-pil while giggling. I followed Jung Ji-pil as well while rummaging through my pockets for cash. I was about to open the back door when it abruptly opened from the other side.

I made eye contact with Lim Dae-han, who was entering the classroom with his hand stuck in his pocket. The stench of cigarettes wrapped over me.

"Let's go home."

Lim Dae-han said to me, tilting his head. Jung Ji-pil looked at me as if he was planning to run away again. I clenched my hand, which was clutching the money. I was forced to be taken during lunchtime, but I won't go this time. I said it clearly with determination.

"I'm not going home now. I'm going to eat tteokbokki."

Dae-han's expression was strange. He laughed as he pursed his lips. He then pouted, unable to keep his lips closed.

"Are you kid? What with the tteokbokki. Let's go home. I'll buy you something delicious."

I shook my head.

"I'm doing night self-study, so I can't go home anyway."

Only then did Dae-han's expression harden. He asked back as if he couldn't believe it.

"Night self-study?"

"Yeah."

"Are you leaving at 10?"

"Yeah."

"Hmm." Lim Dae-han sighed in an unusual tone. He released his strength from his broad shoulders as if shocked by something. Then he stumbled away. He waved as he walked past me.

"Enjoy your meal."

My eyes widened in disbelief. It was because I didn't think that Dae-han would let me go so easily. I cast a sidelong glance at Dae-han's expression, but I couldn't figure out what it meant in the end. I couldn't even think of anything to say.

"Hey, Ki Young-hyun, come quickly! We'll leave without you if you don't come."

I approached Jung Ji-pil, who had called me and took several glances at the classroom, but Lim Dae-han never returned after going inside.

It wasn't until an hour or so that I realized what Dae-han's behavior meant. The night self-study's reserve bell rang. I sneaked back to my seat. As I was getting ready to study, the previously closed door to the classroom opened. Dae-han, whom I had thought had left, suddenly appeared. Then he took the pink peach emoticon arm pillow from his seat and approached me.