Chapter V: Romance & More?

EARLY HOURS OF MORNING

.

.

.

501ST JFW BASE, ROME.

The morning sun cast a warm glow over the 501st Joint Fighter Wing's base as Eun-ji opened her eyes to a new day. However, her peaceful morning was abruptly disrupted when Mio Sakamoto barged into the joint room she shared with Shirley Yeager.

"Rise and shine, Choi!" Mio declared, her voice cutting through the tranquility.

Startled, Eun-ji sat up, blinking away sleep. "What's going on?"

Mio, a stern expression on her face, pointed at the door. "Out. Now."

Confused but compliant, Eun-ji got up and left the room, only to find Yoshika and Lynne waiting in the corridor. Mio had evidently recruited them for whatever awaited outside.

"What's happening?" Eun-ji asked, glancing between the three determined witches.

"Mio decided we need extra training, and you're the lucky one today," Shirley explained, an apologetic look in her eyes.

The group headed to the training grounds, where Mio wasted no time in outlining the day's rigorous activities. Eun-ji quickly realized she was the main target of Mio's intense training regimen.

Mio led them through drills, manoeuvres, and combat simulations, pushing them to their limits. The intensity of the training left little room for rest, and Eun-ji found herself gasping for breath. Mio's critiques were sharp and unforgiving, and Eun-ji sensed an undercurrent of hostility beneath the surface.

As they continued to practice, it became apparent that Mio's focus on Eun-ji was not solely about improving her skills. It was a deliberate effort to push her to the edge, fuelled by a lingering resentment tied to Eun-ji's Chosen background.

Despite the physically demanding training, Eun-ji kept her composure. She understood the complexities of the situation and the need to prove herself, not just as a capable pilot but as an individual beyond the stereotypes associated with her heritage.

The sun climbed higher in the sky, casting shadows over the training ground as the morning turned into afternoon. Mio finally called for a break, and the exhausted witches gathered to catch their breath.

"I hope you've learned something today," Mio said, her gaze lingering on Eun-ji.

Eun-ji nodded, her determination unwavering. She was determined to earn the respect of her fellow witches, even if it meant weathering the storm of Mio's challenging training sessions.

As they headed back to the base, Eun-ji couldn't help but reflect on the day's events. The training might have been gruelling, but it was also an opportunity to prove that she belonged—regardless of her origins. The challenges ahead were daunting, but Eun-ji remained resolute, ready to face whatever lay ahead in the skies with the 501st Joint Fighter Wing.

MIDDAY - LUNCH

The mess hall buzzed with the sounds of chatter and clinking utensils as the witches of the 501st Joint Fighter Wing gathered for lunch. Shirley and Eun-ji, having grown closer during the morning's training, found a spot together and engaged in lighthearted conversation.

As they enjoyed their meal, laughter and camaraderie echoed through the hall. However, the atmosphere shifted when Mio stormed in, the door slamming shut behind her. Her gaze fell squarely on Eun-ji, and a tension settled over the room.

Mio approached their table, a scowl etched across her face. Without preamble, she launched into a verbal assault, her words laden with disdain and undertones of degradation solely based on Eun-ji's Chosen heritage.