Proficiency Test

Comincia dall'inizio

"Nicolas, Nicolas Dreyl," one of them responded, his voice dripping with confidence and a hint of arrogance. His emphasis on the surname 'Dreyl' suggested its significance, likely belonging to a notable or highborn family, a fact he seemed keen to broadcast. "And my friend here is called Rolph," he continued, slinging an arm around his companion, who merely scowled at the floor, radiating annoyance.

"Rolo and Zaya, Nicolas and Rolph, come forward and prepare for your duel," the woman instructed, unphased by the dynamics within the group.

"Here? Is this spot really suitable for a duel?" Rolo challenged, his tone laced with skepticism.

Without answering, the woman concentrated mana in her palms, executing a series of intricate hand movements. To everyone's astonishment, her actions unveiled a small battle arena that had been hidden in plain sight, eliciting wide-eyed reactions from the class.

"Illusion magic," she explained, her voice steady as she turned back to face the class. "The arena has always been here. Now, get into positions and wait for my signal to begin."

"Already? But we haven't had time to discuss any tactics or learn the rules. We barely know each other!" Rolo protested, his confusion evident.

The woman disregarded his protests, signaling the start of the duel with a swift gesture. "Begin!" she announced, her voice echoing authoritatively through the room.

As the duel commenced, the disparity in team synergy and combat experience quickly became apparent. Rodo and Zaya, still strangers to one another, struggled to find their rhythm. Their defensive strategy, while commendable in effort, was marred by their unfamiliarity. Rodo, attempting to harness his earth magic, erected barriers from the arena floor, but they were hastily constructed and lacked coordination with Zaya's water magic, which she wielded in an attempt to douse and deflect any incoming attacks.

Nicolas, on the other hand, showcased his fire magic with a flamboyant flair, each spell cast with a precision that spoke of his confidence and training. His arrogance was palpable, a smirk playing on his lips as he launched a barrage of fiery projectiles at their opponents. Rolph, despite his evident annoyance with Nicolas's showboating, complemented his partner's aggression with earth magic that was both strategic and forceful. He manipulated the ground beneath Rodo and Zaya, disrupting their footing and forcing them into vulnerable positions.

The arena echoed with the clash of elements, but the battle's outcome seemed predetermined. Nicolas and Rolph's attacks were relentless, their synergy, born of a clear understanding of each other's strengths and tactics, overwhelming Rodo and Zaya's defensive efforts. Zaya's attempts to counter with water magic were quickly evaporated by Nicolas's intense flames, while Rolo's earth barriers crumbled under the combined assault of fire and earth.

The one-sided battle lasted scarcely a minute before Rodo and Zaya found themselves cornered, unable to mount any effective offense. Their final defenses shattered under a particularly powerful spell from Nicolas, coupled with Rolph's earth magic that got interrupted by the teacher's wind magic.The duel ended with Rodo and Zaya defeated, their expressions a mix of frustration and resignation.

The initial battle left me bewildered. With no guidance and a stark gap in experience between the pairings, I couldn't help but question the fairness of such a test in assessing our abilities. Beside me, Elijah's face mirrored anxiety.

"The battle has concluded. Congratulations, Nicolas and Rolph," the instructor announced, her voice devoid of warmth. "Rolo and Zaya, don't take the loss too hard. I am well aware of your lack of experience fighting alongside each other. You will all receive your rankings and detailed critiques tomorrow. However, I've already made my decisions on your ranking for this class, so I see no point in making you wait."