Back To Square One

Mapo district, Seoul, South Korea.

"Yes, I totally understand. Thanks a lot for getting in touch with me, I really appreciate it."

Sunoo crossed another job position from his company search list as soon as the call ended.

An exasperated sigh could be heard afterwards, and he couldn't help but feel the desperation creeping into his mind. This was the third call he received today, and none of it brought good news to him.

It had been a month already since he resigned from Daily Korea. He thought his life was heading toward a better light, but it didn't seem like that at all. He remembered that he had gone through countless job interviews and sent a lot of job applications since last month, and it still did not give any fruitful outcome.

Now, he was going back to square one again, and truthfully, it wasn't a great situation to live in. Because he had experienced this back then when he graduated from university, and he knew how stressful it felt.

Sunoo was uncertain about how long he would remain unemployed. It was a significant concern for him, as he could see his savings dwindling slowly after paying all his monthly expenses. 

Adding to his worries, his mother called him last week and asked for financial assistance to repair one of the ovens in their family-owned bakery. 

The business had not been doing well for the past three months, and they were short of funds to maintain it. Sunoo, being the good son he was, of course, wanted to help his mother and provide the necessary funds. But, he realized that he had used up some of his emergency savings on that. And now he was desperately looking for a new job as soon as he could before his bank account dropped to zero. 

However, the reality searching for a vacant job was not something easy because the waiting period was unpredictable.

"This is so stressful," he groaned. What are these companies tryna look at the applicant for this position? Am I not good enough?

At this point, it was beyond frustration. Sunoo was on the verge of giving up already if it was not because of his ambitious self.

He had worked so hard just to be where he was standing right now, and he could not let himself drown in disappointment. After four years spent at the university, he could not let his time, money and effort go to waste.

Shutting down his laptop, and putting aside his notebook, Sunoo got up from the cosy floor chair and crawled into his bed behind him, sprawling on the comfortable mattress like a starfish at the bottom of the ocean floor. The soft surface of his bed comforter immediately eased the tension he felt earlier. 

The weather has been terrible lately with all the rain and high temperatures. It's getting so muggy that Sunoo couldn't stand it

Firstly, he couldn't handle the heat because it made him sweat like crazy. And because of all that sweating, he started to stink, so he had to take more showers than he normally would. That also meant doing a lot more laundry than usual, which was a real pain in the butt. 

Secondly, the rainfall was making everything worse, messing up his daily routine, and the humidity was making him feel so lazy. If he had to list all the things he hated about summer, he's sure he'd need more than a single page.

As Sunoo shifted his gaze towards the window on his right, he was greeted with the sight of a clear blue sky. The vast expanse of blue painted a peaceful and serene scene that seemed to stretch on forever. The warm rays of the sun emanating from outside could be felt on his skin, and he imagined it to be searing hot.