Chapter 29: Skeletons in Royal Closets

As the brothers touched down on the familiar tiled floor of the Great Gallery, Peach eagerly welcomed them with open arms, enveloping them in a warm embrace. "I'm so glad to see you again!" she exclaimed, her eyes sparkling with genuine joy.

Mario's grin stretched even wider. "It's good to be home! These past few weeks have been quite an adventure," he shared, his eyes reflecting the myriad of challenges they had faced.

Luigi, in agreement, offered a reassuring pat on Peach's arm as she released them from her embrace. With a determined smile, the princess clasped her hands together and said, "Come, I've had lunch prepared for the three of us," taking the lead as she guided them towards a delightful meal awaiting them.

The twins readily accepted the invitation, and servants promptly approached, relieving them of their bags. With their burdens lifted, they followed Princess Peach. Luigi trailed a bit behind Mario and Peach, maintaining a cautious distance. His perception of Peach was currently on shaky ground, and he felt it wise to keep some space until he uncovered the truth.

As they entered the grand dining hall, the aroma of a delicious feast filled the air. The table was adorned with an array of delectable dishes, from mushroom risotto to fire flower salad. Seated at the table, Peach gestured for the brothers to join her. "Please, make yourselves comfortable. I hope you enjoy the meal," she said, her eyes sparkling with warmth.

As they indulged in the feast, the atmosphere lightened. Mario regaled Peach with tales of their latest exploits, and Luigi would comment occasionally. The princess was very interested in learning more about what happened in Kong Country. "The reports don't do justice to the damage done," Peach said.

"It was insane! Things were bad enough, and then the chain chomp and Kremlings got involved," Mario exclaimed.

Peach sighed. Leading a kingdom post-siege was taking a toll on her. She had been working tirelessly to rebuild and restore order in her kingdom, but the memories of the chaos and destruction still haunted her. Shaking her head slightly, she turned to Luigi, "It must've been a frightening experience, calming down an Infuriated Bowser," she said.

Luigi looked up from his plate. "A little bit, yeah," he replied. "But thankfully there were no fatalities and Rool was captured."

The princess nodded and let the conversation fall at that, except for the staff clearing the plates. Mario rescued the conversation and started ranting about their Victory Marks, even showing her the piercing. Luigi electrified his hand to display his own ability. Peach squealed with joy and commented on how prestigious a gift it was. Soon, the conversation turned to their upcoming trip to Sarasaland.

"I must warn you, the kingdom's heat is quite intense," Peach said while sipping her tea.

Mario shrugged. "Eh, we survived the heat from the Floating Fortress, right?"

Luigi raised an eyebrow. "You spent a few hours there, max. You've got a little taste of what the heat is like," he responded.

Luigi's memory flashed back to the day the Shy Guys captured him, the searing heat of the lava serving as an unforgettable lesson. That and how just how often he's close to someone who's basically a biological space warmer. Although, in the recess of his thoughts, he would choose Bowser's warmth over lava on any given day-

Mario and Peach looked in alarm as Luigi sputtered and coughed; the unexpected thought caused his face to redden. Mario quickly rushed to Luigi's side, concern etched on his face. "Luigi, are you okay? What's wrong?" he asked, placing a comforting hand on his brother's shoulder.