Chapter 4: The Truth About Kendyl

A few days passed since the incident with the prince and Kendyl. Moreover, the prince hasn't returned to the castle since then. I tried not to think about it as much and continue through the days as I normally would. I still had work to do, after all.

Meanwhile, the prince settled Kendyl in a lavish mansion that he had his attendant purchase for her. The mansion was just on the outskirts of the capital, so it was a private area. The prince also promised to provide servants and maids for Kendyl later on. In the meantime, he had his attendant go to the city to purchase some food, beverages, and dresses for Kendyl. When the attendant returned, the prince and Kendyl had a big lunch together in the dining room.

"It looks like you're feeling better," said the prince to Kendyl.

"I am. I love this place."

"I'm glad you do."

"Is it as beautiful as the princess's castle?"

"Well...kind of."

"I just...I just wish that I could have seen what the inside looked like. I didn't know that the princess could be so mean."

"Well...don't worry about her. At least you have a beautiful place to live now, and I will make sure it stays that way."

"Is it always like that?"

"Huh?"

"I mean, is the princess always that mean?"

"Well, I mean, not really. Let's finish our food. I will have to go soon."

"Aw, already? Can't you stay a little while longer? I'll be lonely without you here."

"As much as I would love to stay, I can't. Not tonight."

"Will you be back tomorrow?"

"...Yes, I can come see you tomorrow. Now let's finish eating."

"Yes, Antonio."

Late afternoon approached by the time I finished my work for the day. Thankfully, I wasn't as exhausted as I was before, so I decided to go for a little stroll around the courtyard. The warmth of that summer day was as wonderful as could possibly be, and the day was blessed with a bright, clear blue sky. My stroll was soon interrupted when a servant announced the prince's arrival. He soon entered the courtyard, standing awkwardly near the entrance.

"Why, hello, Prince. Where have you been?"

"...Well, I was with Kendyl...I bought her a mansion."

"You bought her a mansion? How?"

"I had my attendant do it for me."

I was a little bit surprised after hearing this news. I can understand providing shelter for her, but a mansion? It just seemed like a bit much for him to do this for someone he barely knew...or at least, I think he barely knows her.

"So, I take it this girl is completely settled?"

"Yes, she is. I'm visiting her again tomorrow."

"..."

"I'm going to go take a nap."

With that, the prince left the courtyard, leaving me all alone again.

Kendyl was in her new mansion, drinking tea and eating snacks. Night fell, with the occasional cool breeze blowing through some of the open windows in the dining room. Suddenly, there was a knock at the door. When Kendyl opened it, Mike, the prince's attendant, made his way inside, brushing past her.

"So, I see you've forgotten about me, huh?" he said as he made his way briskly towards the dining room. He pulled out a chair, sat, and started eating the snacks Kendyl was originally eating.

"And what makes you think that I forgot about you, Mike?"

"I don't know. Maybe because you have all this food and fancy dresses now and didn't bother to invite me to eat with you later when you saw that prince off."

"Well, you didn't ask."

Kendyl pulled out a chair next to Mike and sat.

"Let me ask you again, Kendyl. Just what makes you think that this plan of yours will work. I mean, everyone knows you're a harlot."

"WAS a harlot."

"I don't know that."

"I'm with you, aren't I?"

Kendyl leaned over in her chair and kissed Mike on the cheek.

"Besides, only the people in the west know that I was a harlot. Here, no one knows me, so it will be the perfect fresh start for me. If I didn't know that the prince was coming here, I would have never gotten this Idea. It's the perfect plan."

"What about the princess? Ain't you worried about her? That prince is engaged to her. And we both heard that she's a very powerful ruler over here."

"Oh, please. Those are just rumors. Besides, as long as I have the prince wrapped around my finger, any problems that princess does give me will be nothing. I just figured out that an interesting rumor about her can be used to my advantage."

"What rumor?"

Kendyl took a piece of cake and popped it into her mouth.

"That the princess is cruel."

"How will that work out?"

"You'll see. I'll use it when I need to. And whatever she tries to do because of that will only make things worse for her."

"Well, it's not like you can replace the princess. Especially not here."

"True, but at least I'll be in a good place, eventually. I might not be able to replace her as a ruler here, but I can replace her as the prince's new interest, and I can have whatever I want and live nicely."

"Well, all I know is if you betray me, it's not going to be well for you.'

"I know, Mike."

After finishing their snacks, Kendyl and Mike went to bed together in one room for the night.