nine ;a purpose

Start from the beginning

if the bureau hadn't sent any letters, you were sure it had to be the doing of your siblings. the discovery could only point to more plotting, and it urged you to crack the case before it was too late to act.

"free room, free food." it wasn't a total lie, but you figured it'd be best to keep the full truth from him. you may have known him for years, since childhood, but given that he was a divine visionary, it was certain that he was strict on his duties, and you couldn't be sure whether he'd rat you o─

"give me the whole truth, (y/n)." he put the documents down, giving you a stoic look, yet his face easily read 'you're a terrible liar'.

wow.

"ask any more and i'll kill you." you gave him a slight glare.

"would you, now?"

"...no."

rayne sighed, standing up from your bed without a word as if he had seen right through your means of being at easton. he neatly placed the documents back on your desk before picking you up with no effort from the back of your collar.

"what are you doing?" you asked, suspicion evident in your tone.

rayne briefly paused. he walked over to your bed, which wasn't too far of a distance, but you made your attempts to break free anyway... though, they were futile.

he dropped you onto your bed, and before you could even spring back up, he had you pinned down to the mattress.

"let me go, rayne..!" you wriggled against him, but you lacked the energy to make any significant effort.

"sleep." he merely said, refusing to let you go until you gave in.

"do you plan on making me?" you clicked your tongue.

his gaze lingered on you for a good second before he leaned down.

inching closer to your face, he whispered something that would make you shudder in an instant. his words were firm with confidence, as if threatening you.

you had never seen him speak so boldly.

"...i'll- i'll sleep, so let go of me already." you mumbled. he got off you with a satisfied hum.

"you care too much for me, rayne..." you lifted the covers over your body, softly muttering and slurring your words.

exhaustion soon seeped in. it wasn't long before you were out cold, comfortably sleeping even with the company of the older brother in your room and the confidential documents out in the open for him to read.

on the other hand, rayne had taken his seat on your chair. he separated the documents that were already read and the ones that had yet to be looked into.

"how can i not care for you?" he mumbled in response, though barely audible, as he read the papers.

little did he know that he would find some rather intriguing texts on the sheets of papers, especially a document that would be the very reason you were privately doing this investigation in the first place. even so, you trusted that rayne wouldn't question on anything that wasn't his concern.

throughout the rest of the night, he had picked out the documents he believed to be helpful even in the slightest for you and returned the rest of the unimportant ones. it was a hefty pile of documents, so he left the ones that were unread on your desk, leaving it to you.

it was the crack of dawn by then, the glimpse of sunlight ever so slightly slipping in through your curtains and shining on your face.

the divine visionary had turned to savour one last look at you, knowing that it'd be awhile before you two could see each other again, and he couldn't help but stare at the sight a little longer.