Chapter 22: A Mess is Made

Start from the beginning

"I'm as good as dead, so let me die." He sneers, before a laugh makes them both jump.

Tate had been quietly listening behind them, bursting out into laughter as he now walks up to them both.

"You call yourself a prince?" He jabs, blue eyes attacking Kellum's green. "What a joke. Don't claim that title when you give up easily."

"Who do you think you are to talk to me like that?" Kellum shows his teeth with each word, causing Tate to laugh again.

"Your best friend, if you cut out all this pity me bullshit." Tate crosses his arms as the elf tilts his head.

"And who are you exactly?"

"Nice to meet you, Prince Kellum," Tate bows a little, looking up at the pink haired man with a grin. "I'm Prince Tate of Malista. Unofficially, of course, since my asshole of an uncle stole my title away."

"This Kingdom... has a prince?" Kellum opens his eyes wide and the white haired man smiles softly.

"I know what you're going through. I know what it feels like to see your people struggle, all while you have no ability to help them. I know what it feels like to be trapped and cornered."

He moves closer, reaching through the bars, surprising Kali as Kellum allows Tate to rest his hand on him.

"Kali is helping us right now. And she's worth putting your faith in," he smiles at Kali briefly before turning back, "if anyone can help you- it's her. She may be a little ditsy, but put your faith in her. I have, and so far... well, my uncle is alive still so that sucks, but I have a feeling she'll get us where we want to be somehow."

Kali pouts a little, "of course we'll get to that point..."

"Oh, so you'll kill now?" He smiles at her and Kellum looks curiously between them.

"I'm... working on my feelings on it." She looks away and both men smile.

"Kellum, we're not giving up on you. You have two of us on your side now. You're not dying here. And your kingdom will get justice for the lives lost, do you understand me?" A wave of understanding crosses between the men, and now it's Kali's turn to smile.

She wraps her arms around Tate, who is still holding onto Kellum.

"Thank you," Kellum smiles, nodding sternly. "I'll hold onto my trust and hope in you. I'll stay strong."

They all share a nod, grinning ear to ear as the atmosphere seems to lift above them all. "Don't you dare give up, got it, Litten Alv?"

Kellum chuckles, shaking his head, "you know I'm older than you, right?" He side-eyes him and Kali tilts her head.

"But I'm taller," Tate winks and Kellum rolls his eyes. "So litten alv you are to me."

"What language is that?" Kali asks quietly, and Tate shrugs.

"Not sure, I learned it when I was little. I just remember some things."

"It's spoken in the light mage kingdom," Kellum quips, looking Tate up and down. "Which makes sense why you know it."

"What do you mean?" Tate frowns.

"What does your language sound like?" Kali grins, looking happily at Kellum. "Please, I want to hear it!"

Kellum smiles, leaning as close to her as he can. White teeth gleaming as his eyes soften, "Jeg vil sætte min tro på dig."

"What does that mean?" Her mouth makes an 'o' as she frowns a little.