A Purple Hood

A cool evening breeze brushed against Raven's face and she closed her eyes, savoring the serenity of the moment. She meditated on the rooftop of the tower; not but because something was currently bothering her, not because she felt her powers becoming restless, but for the simple joy of it. As the sun slipped beneath the far horizon, she breathed in the crisp refreshing air, a smile on her face. No flares of energy, no random bursts of magic, just the tranquil waves lapping against the tower's island and fluffy purple clouds sauntering across the sky overhead.

In the weeks following her conversation with herself, Raven had been experimenting and gradually allowing certain emotions a little more legroom. Activities she would previously shy away from had become somewhat regular parts of her schedule, and she was becoming significantly less fearful of unleashing uncapped magic on the public by going for a simple stroll in the park. She had gone shopping with Starfire, attended a car meet with Cyborg, gone rock climbing with Robin, and went to the arcade with Beast Boy. And with each activity she felt not scared and guarded, but more powerful and in control. Feeling positive emotions now seemed to embolden her rather than force her into defensive meditation.

The deep power encased in her emotions had not changed, however, and feeling too much was still a dangerous notion. But the same discipline that had kept her emotions suppressed all those years had helped her to express positive emotions while not letting them out on too long of a leash. And even still, she felt that leash lengthening every day, as though feeling more happiness and joy gave them less and less potential of magical disaster. Perhaps some feelings weren't so dangerous after all.

The rooftop access door opened, light from inside pouring out into the twilight sky. A friendly voice sounded. "Hey, Raven!"

"Mm?" She responded without moving or opening her eyes.

"We're about to watch a movie," Beast Boy motioned. "Robin and Starfire's pick, so get ready for some kind of rom-com, but we're short one Titan. Wanna join us?"

Raven thought for a moment. "Sure." She smiled, lowering herself from levitation onto the rooftop once more.

"Rae's coming! Don't start yet!" Beast Boy called down into the tower.

Raven glanced over her shoulder and motioned with her head. "Come here for a sec'."

"What's up?" Beast Boy wandered over and sat down beside her, slightly confused but not questioning any of it. He had noticed a small change in her recently. The others didn't seem to have picked up on it as strongly, but he could sense something happier about her. Her quiet, low voice remained but somehow there was a brighter inflection to it. When she walked he noticed that she didn't drag her feet as much, and her posture seemed less downcast. There was something all around more positive about this mysterious Titan, one that Beast Boy had long given up on trying to fully understand.

Back when she was under the influence of Malchior, her personality temporarily lightened. After the defeat of her father, Raven's personality again seemed to brighten up. Beast Boy could only wonder what was going on now, but each time he asked she had assured him that all was well and she was in control. He knew better than to press.

"Remember a few weeks ago when you found me up here and I asked you what was for dinner?" She said, staring out over the water.

"Yeah. Pizza night." He recalled.

"I couldn't have cared less what we were eating that night." Raven said bluntly.

Beast Boy paused. "...'Kay?"

"I meant to ask you something. Do you think there are other universes out there? Other realities?"

Beast Boy paused again, not prepared for such a deep, profound question. He finally shrugged. "Probably. We've pretty much found some of them in the past, haven't we? I mean, one of my friends is half-robot, one is an alien, and one is dating an alien. So literally anything is possible."