A Conversation

Humming softly to herself, Starfire sauntered down the corridor of Titans Tower, heading to her room after the evening meal. She cradled Silkie in her arms, who nestled into her and chattered his various vocalizations almost akin to purring. The dinner conversations had amused her, and she always found it entertaining to watch the boys' good-natured bickering.

Starfire sighed contentedly to herself, closing her eyes and spinning with a small twirl. Jump City was on the verge of experiencing a long-awaited era of peace. After news of the Titans' international battles reached American shores, the floodgates had opened. Allies, new heroes, and citizens ready to believe in good all took a stand against evil and crime. The story of five young superheroes who crossed an ocean and defended a city echoed throughout the land. It seemed to be a source of common ground for people everywhere, and even the elder heroes had tipped their appreciation and respect. It was nice to inspire good in the world, knowing that their efforts were actually benefiting the regular civilian.

"Hey, Starfire?"

"Eep!" The Tamaranean princess jumped at the sound of Raven's voice, startling her out of her thoughts. Silkie was thrown into the air and stuck to the ceiling above Starfire's door, but revealed no discomfort and simply curled into a peaceful ball, retaining his odd smile.

Raven took a step backward, eyeing the larvae above her. "Sorry."

"Oh, Raven! You scared the sunlight away from me!" Starfire laughed.

"Quite," Raven said simply. "Hey, uh, Star'? Can I ask you for some advice about something?"

Starfire nodded enthusiastically. "But of course. I am always here for you."

"It's about... a boy..." Raven said. She could feel the heat crawling back into her cheeks.

Starfire's vivid green eyes burst with excitement. "Raven! I would love to help you with the boy trouble!"

"Not so loud, Star'!" A typhoon of heat cascaded into Raven's face and she reached a magical hand up, clamping it over her friend's mouth.

"Mmf!" Starfire gently peeled the magic away from her face, speaking quietly but retaining her bright eagerness. "Of course. I apologize. Please, let us enter my room of the bed and converse."

Raven nodded, still blushing deeply. The door slid open, and Starfire glided inside, plopping down on her circular bed and eagerly patting a spot next to her with her hand. Raven walked in, trying not to be overwhelmed by the explosion of color and brightness that was Starfire's decor. This room had never been the ideal place for Raven to spend time, with its various girly elements to it. There was so much pink and purple it almost used to make her gag.

"Now, dear friend," Starfire nodded as Raven sat down next to her. "Begin sharing. What is atop your mind?"

Raven hesitated again, unsure just how much she should begin sharing. Despite the clear contrast of their personalities, she trusted this Titan more than most people in the universe. Yet still, the subject at hand seemed daunting.

"Okay, say there's this person... and this person has a friend they met... through work," Raven began awkwardly, carefully navigating her words. "The two of them are very good friends, very close friends. Over time, they have grown quite close, and the girl is feeling confused about her feelings about this person."

Starfire tilted her head slightly, a small smile creeping into the corner of her mouth. "Do I personally know these two hypothetical people, Raven?"

"Possibly." Raven spoke in her monotone, trying not to react. Am I really that bad at acting? Did she guess it already?

"Very well. Continue." Starfire nodded with a pleasant smile.

"I don't- she doesn't want to complicate or compromise her friendship with this boy, but she also can not deny her feelings as of late. During her soul searching, she discovered access to a certain power, a certain ability and knowledge. This knowledge could be used to help her gain insight into what she should do about her current circumstance."

Starfire clasped her hands together. "Ah, that sounds wonderful!"

Raven nodded, continuing to monitor her words and speak as cryptically as possible. "It does indeed. The only problem is that this power could also... allow terrible things to... enter her mind."

The Tamaranean paused. "Is this a person you met in Tokyo?"

"Yes; it's a friend from Tokyo." Raven lied without batting an eye. So she hadn't guessed? Hmm.

A pause came from Starfire as she appeared to be searching Raven's expression. Raven's eyes flitted from Starfire's gaze to the floor, then back again, as she nervously wondered what the sudden pause was about. Finally, Starfire nodded. "Continue."

Raven laced her fingers together, outwardly stoic but internally she was desperately trying to appear passive. "Do you think this girl should use that power to help gain insight about her feelings? Or do you think she should try to continue on with her life as normal?"

The young alien girl lifted her eyes to the ceiling in thought briefly. "Forgive me if I am assuming too much about the character of this couple, but I do not believe that life can ever return to normal after one has experienced the feelings."

Now it was Raven who tilted her head in curiosity. "What do you mean?"

"For example," Starfire began brushing her lengthy crimson hair with her palm. "Robin and I have been sailing on our relation ship for over one year now. It has been the most joyous year of my life, and I am so happy and lucky to share it with him, and with you, Cyborg, and Beast Boy."

"However," Starfire continued. "There was a moment in Japan where I feared that this life was simply not possible; a moment where he showed doubt. He wished for us to remain as heroes and nothing more, for us to continue as normal. But we both eventually realized that once you have obtained even a taste of the feelings, life can never return to normal."

Raven listened intently as the young Titan gushed. She had rarely seen Starfire speak so passionately. The emerald eyes seemed to pulsate, seemed to glower and breathe as she poured out her thoughts.

"Whoever this friend of yours is and whoever the boy is with whom she is pleasantly associated, I would suggest to trust in what feels right to her. Act on instinct. But remind this friend that we can never go back to whatever we perceived was normal, nor should we desire to do so." Starfire raised her finger matter-of-factly at the final sentence, folding her hands with a smile and awaiting Raven's response.

Raven sat there for a spell, absorbing everything Starfire had said and smoothing out her cloak absentmindedly. Her words were quite authentic and heartfelt, and Starfire seemed to genuinely care about each syllable she had uttered. "So you think that my friend should just roll with the punches?"

Starfire held up her hands. "Oh, not at all! Do none of the rolling or the physical violence!"

"I mean," Raven said quickly. "Act on instinct like you said."

"Oh, yes," Starfire nodded happily. "Does that answer your questions."

"Yes, I think so." Raven said, still processing her friend's advice.

Starfire stood, appearing content. "If you need any more of the advice, friend, I would be most happy to assist you and do the conversing with you."

"Thanks, Star'." Raven smiled a warm smile that she usually reserved for her Tamaranean friend.

The door to the colorful room opened and Raven exited just in time to see Silkie's bond with the ceiling break as he tumbled to the floor, bouncing lightly. He began slinking towards Starfire, leaving thin trails of ooze.

"Come here, my little bumgorf. Oh, and Raven?" Starfire called as she walked towards her door, a hint of mischievousness in her voice.

Raven turned around, and as Starfire lifted Silkie into her arms, her eyes narrowed slyly as she smiled. "I thought you said you had not made any new friends in Tokyo."

"I..." Raven's mouth gaped as Starfire winked knowingly and closed the door.