Chapter 3

Stepping out of his building, I tried to calm my breathing—gasping to take in more breath rather than think about the gracious threat looming in the air in his cabin. Nobody ever made me nervous to such a core that every vein tightened, each fibre aware of his presence, every breath waiting for his reply.

He was lethal.

His presence was ominous.

His words are traitors to my own.

"So, are we going back?" I had forgotten about the girl. "Are you okay?"

Yes, I was okay.

I would be okay.

I nodded, not trusting the words stuck at the bottom of my throat. Licking my lower lip, I cut my gaze to her figure. She had joined me in the elevator, and for the past five minutes, I had no reply to share with her regarding the conversation between Rehan and me.

"Take a cab and go to the office. It's on me. If Sagar asks, tell him not to bother me today." I had another visit planned in my head. Before she could reply, I jogged to my car, slid on the winter seat, shut my door and revived out of the office to go to my destination.

Inch by inch, my breath came in ragged gasps, sweat pooling in my palms as the world blurred at the edges. Each frantic wheel spin sent the car swerving like a drunken dancer, tires screeching in protest.

I wasn't supposed to think about how I caused the death of the person I claimed to love. I wasn't supposed to utter the murderous thoughts in the air, but nothing aided as I jogged those words in my head—punishing and scratching for claiming my murderous thoughts in the air.

You had to do it.

Hot and salty tears trailed down my cheeks, blurring the distorted view.

I love you, Vanya.

If not you, then whom?

Be with me. Marry me. You, only you, I need.

I crave you, Vanya Rao. I don't think I can love another.

I love you, Vanya.

Be with me. Marry me. You, only you, I need.

Breathless. That's what you make me. Breathless.

Kill me if you want, but I won't leave you ever.

Now, did I leave you?

The blaring music thrummed against my skull, mimicking the frantic rhythm of my heart. The memories came crashing down, my thoughts turned erratic, the place became uncomfortable, the reality seething from the darkest parts of my mind.

A scream thrashed at the edge of my throat, begging to be let out, but I gulped the breaking emotions and tried to secure them in the safest lock of my soul. I couldn't open the lock of the forgotten memories in the wake of night, the treacherous truth had to stay hidden, locked inside for none of us to see.

The road stretched ahead, lonely and desolate, mirroring the emptiness within me. And I slammed my foot on the accelerator, the car lurching forward. The setting sun cast long shadows across the landscape.

With a deep breath, I placed my head on the cold wheel.

No, you didn't, but you should, Ved.

A lone tear fell from the corner of my eyes.

I don't know how to, Vanya.

***

The mahogany door groaned in protest as I slammed my keys onto the worn surface of the cabinet. Laced with a hint of resignation, a familiar voice drifted from behind me, "You're late."