Chapter 10

Chapter 10

            Jillian lay on the floor reading for hours. She learned about how Gantailzia was created and about all the famous battles and people in its history. There had been many queens like Lorraliell and many kings too. Jillian read about Lorraliell’s parents and about Horrilen, Lorraliell’s faithful friend. She read about the battle that the real Rix had died in. It all sounded very exciting to Jillian. She wished that she could have been there fighting alongside the Gantailzian. Gantailzia had seen many battles and wars against its enemies since it came into being but there had not been any in many years.

            Jillian had just finished the chapter on Gantailzian dances and music when she turned to the next chapter, “Gantailzian Folk Lore and Prophecies”. The title intrigued Jillian and she started reading it right away. The first few stories were all magic tales about fairies and goblins but when Jillian turned the page she saw the most interesting thing she had seen yet. The next story was called “The Starlight Goddess’ Prophecy”. There was a picture below the title of a beautiful, transparent woman who looked like she was made of nothing but sparkling dust and a rainbow mist. Jillian looked at the beautiful picture. It looked just like the woman who had appeared to her right there in that very cave.

            “She must be the starlight goddess”, Jillian thought to herself.

            Jillian turned the page to the beginning of the story and began to read out loud to herself.

            “It is said that the starlight goddess was in being when Gantailzia was created”, Jillian read. “The goddess is not known to many mortals but she communicates with us through the tales, legends, and prophecies that were left for us. This particular prophecy is both much dreaded and long awaited. In a time of great hardship and sorrow in Gantailzia under an evil being a girl, Jillian will enter our world from another and bring back the light to our kingdom. Jillian will rid us of the evil and return what is lost to us. She will see what others have missed and uncover our dark secrets. She will save us all”.

            Jillian looked at the book in awe. It couldn’t really be talking about her, could it? Jillian turned the page. Jillian fell on the floor in confusion. On the next page there was picture of a large bejeweled key. It was just like the one that had been in her dreams so many times. Jillian’s head was spinning. Everything that she knew and had ever seen was racing about her mind like a tornado.  Everything was a blur and she couldn’t keep her thoughts straight. That key had appeared in her dreams before she even knew that Gantailzia existed. She could tell that there was something she was missing. Jillian jumped up and read the caption under the key. It read “the key of Gantailzia. This key will help Jillian bring us out of our sorrow and bring back the light”.

            Jillian knew what she would have to do. The people of Gantailzia were waiting for her help. They had been waiting for hundreds of years. She had to get into the palace again but she didn’t know where she was or how to get back. Jillian looked around for a way out but there was no door anywhere. Then she noticed the wand that was sitting on the table.

            “The starlight goddess told me to use this”, she thought. “It could help me get out of here”.

            Jillian looked at all of the other items that lay on the table. The old wooden box was still sitting there.

            “I wonder what could be in that box”, Jillian asked herself? “She did tell me to open it”.

            Jillian reached out her arm slowly and carefully lifted the lid of the box. It was a little hard to open but Jillian managed and she cautiously peered inside. Jillian pulled off the lid all the way in amazement. Lying at the bottom of the box was the key, the bejeweled key from her dream and the book. Jillian took the key out of the box slowly and examined it. It was beautiful. Jillian had never seen anything so lovely.