CHAPTER 2: PURPLE

Although you expected not to feel anything when you die, you are surprised to see that your eyes receive a blinding light. The twinkling lights of the city are still there, but something's different. The serenity that enveloped you before closing your eyes had turned into a strange calm, as you observed the landscape from your open window... which, by the way, isn't your bedroom's window anymore.

You're laying on a hospital bed, well, where else would you end up? The soft, white blankets snuggle you, offering a cozy vibe for your sore body to catch some Z's. On the nightstand, there's a lonely rose chilling in a vase. Your left hand is playing host to an IV, and one of those beeping gizmos is keeping tabs on your heartbeat.

'Oh, cool. Mom probably stumbled upon my near-death self and hauled me to urgent care, trying to rescue my pathetic ass. Just freaking fantastic!' you ponder, rubbing your eyes and groaning. 'She could just let me kick the bucket, you know? Least then she'd pretend to give a crap at the funeral... maybe she'd even rant about me being dead and still draining her cash.' You grunt, scratching your shoulder. 'Bet once we're home, she'll slap me with extra hours at the store...'

As you try to think about the excuses you're gonna make up to avoid your mother's wrath, a doctor enters your room.

"MC O'Neil, am I right?" Queries the woman in the white coat, checking her notebook.

"Um... yeah, that's me"

"Correct. You must still be feeling pretty bad, however, as you must know: you had an overdose. It almost caused you to go into a coma... Your parent found you collapsed in your room with a respiratory depression, and ran here in the middle of the night. You were lucky this time, child." She mentions, looking at you with sorry eyes. "Whatever that caused you to get that overdose, I hope you can talk it out, your parent has just arrived to pay you a visit"

You roll your eyes and scoff. "Pfft, sure thing," You say with a sarcastic smile. "We'll have a heart-to-heart, me and my mom!"

"I am sorry, it is your father, D/N, the one that came to visit you today"

".... say what now?" You ask, totally lost. "My old man bit the dust, lady, he dieeeeed-" You clap your hands together, drawing out the words. "-like, two years ago, dang leukemia."

The doctor opens her eyes wide, and she hums. "You might be experiencing disorganization in your memory. It might be a side effect from the overdose"

"No way. My old man's six feet under; I went to his funeral and everything." You scowl, then slowly shake your sore head. "Look, just tell my mom to back off. Once I'm well enough, I'll head home on my own-" You get cut off by a knock on the door.

It creaks open, and so do your eyes. Simultaneously, they start welling up with tears - not the sad kind, but the happy, joyful ones.

"...Pops?"

You whisper, spotting a familiar face poking into the room, a face that's been absent from your life for a solid two years.

"Oh, snap! You're finally awake!" Exclaims your dad, rushing towards you. You both pull each other into a tight embrace, and the waterworks commence as you clutch onto your dad's back.

"I-I.... How is this possible? I swear, I thought..." You shake your head. "Never mind. I'm just stoked you're here with me!"

"Same goes for you! What happened, N/n? Why would you take so many pills?" Asks your dad, calling you by that stupid, but now satisfactory nickname he always called you by.

"I... I just.... W-where's mom?" You inquire, wiping your tears.

Your dad shoots you a slightly worried look, patting your head.