Chapter 3

Hi everyone, thank you for reading this book!
I'm sorry I haven't updated for ages and this is quite a long chapter to make up for it. Please comment if I have made any mistakes (spelling or grammar). Also, I need better ideas for the title and cover (at the moment it is Minho from The Maze Runner!) so could you please help me?!
Thank you again and I hope you enjoy the book!

We were instructed to go and line up outside, by the canteen where a Sergeant would be waiting for us.

As I walked out of my tent, the sun hit me with indescribable heat. A short, serious looking man stood in front of the canteen, surrounded be lots of boys. I joined the cluster, looking around to see if I could find my friends.

"Alright boys, listen up!, the man shouted, "my name is Sergeant Joe, I will be leading you today! In five minutes we're gonna be out on our patrol. It's a thirty mile run, so you're gonna have to try hard-"
"No kiddin'" a boy said in front of me, I could hear a few laughs. The sergeant was not happy with the interruption as his face reddened and it looked like it was about to explode. He took a deep breath, trying to look calm and then said to the boy, "You better keep yer mouth shut son, or you'll be spendin' two nights in the pit alone with no food, do I make myself clear?"
The boy shuddered and murmured, "yes... Sir"

Sergeant Joe took one stride forward so he was face to face with the boy, "I SAID, DO I MAKE MYSELF CLEAR?!", he yelled, spit was flying from his mouth in all directions.
"Yes, sir!" The boy said more confidently, saluting to the Sargent.
"Good, now as I was sayin', I don't want any fuss out there today; you've all been trained and should know what you're up against! Hopefully, them kingbots won't be around today so we should 'ave a nice, clean run. Now, get yer weapons and meet me 'ere in three minutes!"

Everyone headed to the weapon shack, some people were running so they got first pick of the weapons.Jack jogged up to me, "Wow, did you see his face? It was like a tomato!", he laughed as he spoke, "He needs to take a chill pill mate!"
"I know right! I can't wait 'till we start running, it'll be so much fun with him, don't ya think?" I said sarcastically. Jack let out a small laugh and slapped my back "We'll make it, we'll get through it together, just be prepared to carry me when I get too tired!"
"Sure, you'll be like a little girl in her daddy's arms! So cute!" I said back. Jack grinned slightly then hugged me,
"I love you, daddy!" He said trying to imitate a small girl.

We walked over to the weapon shack, hoping there would be some decent guns left. Nothing. All the boys before us had taken them and left us with a small, battered gun and a bow with a set of arrows in a quiver.

We were the last ones in there, all the other boys had started to line up. Jack decided on the gun so I was left with the bow: I had no idea how to use an actual bow, I had only ever used the ones that were in the shops, with soft arrows.

The arrows that I had were specially designed to pierce right through a kingbot's body, electrocuting it. I swung the quiver of arrows over my shoulder and held the bow in my left hand. It felt quite comfortable, but I still wasn't sure if I could run thirty miles with the weapon.

Me and Jack had to sprint to line up as Sergeant Joe had started talking,
"We're about to start, but I forgot to mention one thing: we'll be runnin' with the girl squad today. If you wanna make a good impression, then you're gonna have to man up and keep goin'! Not all girls are the classic stereotype, I bet they can run faster than half of you! If yer don't wanna get your butt kicked, I suggest you just run and stop bein' a slopper!"

Many people were taken back by this, we had never met the girl squad before. They were meant to be the ones with brains, but apparently, they can fight too!

As if on cue, the girl squad came walking over to us from the canteen. Lots of boys wolf-whistled and clapped, most of them hadn't seen a girl in almost a year!
"All of you got weapons?" Sergeant Joe asked the girls. They nodded and held them up in the air.
"Good, let's get goin' then!"
And then we were off.