Author's Note

Oh boy. Here we go again.

So, welcome to my entry for the ONC 2024. Affectionately dubbed, the Knives Out knock off (genuinely, the title took 90% of the work) that refuses to co operate.

Now, as you can probably tell from my tardiness with updating this right before Round 1 (sorry, not sorry) things are a little different this year.

Simply put, my body hates me.

To spare you the sob story, I don't have reliable, workable arms anymore. Which is hard cuz y'know you use those to write with. So, this year I'm going to pare down my goals since as much as I love seeing my work shortlisted I'd prefer to keep things realistic.

1. Write in a brand new genre

Would you look at that? Another new genre I said I'd never write in! Shocker.

This time, instead of romance (which I think I did pretty well at) it'll be a murder mystery story set in an all too familiar world of the Night Rider but with a twist. Not only are we jumping into past events, we're going WAY back.

Before Rider, before Aria and even before Kirai (I see you lurkers, you know who that is) we're going right to three generations of Night Rider's. Yes, its time for more Neridian history! Yay. Do take a look at my other works if you're stuck. Especially Nightspun. I promise it'll be fun.

2. Pacing

This one is a little more of a personal goal. I really enjoyed last year but there's one problem I seem to have. My endings. They suck. The main point of the story gets lost behind lore and y'know its bad when the romance story finally gets going and...the End.

I don't want that this year.

So, even if this gets uncompleted (stares at TST) I want to at least try to improve on that. This year is already taking its time writing wise so even if I'm sick or on holidays I want to at least aim for that.

With that out of the way.

Enjoy!

Cap'n

P.S If you have any decent fantasy ONC entries please chuck 'em my way. If I end up in hospital (again) I don't wanna be bored.

...........

MAIN PROMPTS:

7: You are the barkeeper, the owner and operator of the resting point between life and the afterlife, being a kind ear to those who have passed on.

56: In a world where humans and magical creatures coexist, a detective must solve a murder case that threatens to plunge the two communities into war.

TOTAL COUNT:

18,726 words