Chapter Six

That evening, we went out for dinner to celebrate Violet and Quigley's big win. We went to our favourite restaurant in the area- a tiny little Italian place situated on a side street. Our own hidden gem. It was relatively quiet but that was what we wanted, and the food was authentic and delicious. It was one of those places that we often frequented when we were over for the US Open just because of how good it was. But for Klaus, it was his first time.

He had brightened slightly since meeting up with the others, happy to revel in their win. But I knew what I'd seen. However, I didn't think it was my place to ask what was going on. What he could've been so concerned about that it overtook what an amazing match it had been, I didn't know. And while I was frustratingly curious, it wasn't my place. That wasn't the sort of relationship Klaus and I had.

Actually, we didn't have a relationship at all and I was happy to keep it that way.

Dinner went smoothly, with conversation eventually turning away from tennis for all of ten minutes before veering swiftly back- perks of being a table full of tennis players, I suppose. And while it was fun, by the time we got back to the house my social battery was completely worn out. All I wanted to do was to make a hot drink and hide away in my room upstairs, spending the evening alone to thoroughly recharge. After all, tomorrow I would be back to training, especially with my new plan in mind.

However, my brother had other ideas. Violet ran ahead, proclaiming that the main bathroom was hers for the night so she could have a long bath and recuperate after her game, and Klaus disappeared into the living room. Which left Quigley the perfect opening to corner me in the kitchen with my steaming mug of tea.

"So," he said, his face unreadable.

"So," I echoed back.

"Care to tell me what's going on?"

I cocked my head. "With what?" I hadn't brought up my news about doubles yet as I wanted to confirm everything with my coach and discuss what that would really mean for me- with a clearer head this time. Other than that huge bombshell, I couldn't think what he could be referring to.

"With Klaus," he said, dropping his voice and giving a deliberate look towards the living room door.

I paused where I had been running my finger around the rim of my mug. "Huh?"

"Don't 'huh' me," Quigley scolded. "I'm talking about the other day, when the two of you came in from a run happy as Larry."

I frowned, making a tutting noise with my mouth. "God, Quigley, I went for a run and he tagged along. Nothing more than that."

"And you agreed to that?"

My anger flared, wondering how I had somehow ended up in an interrogation. "What was I meant to say? I couldn't exactly bar the doors and stop him. It's a free country or whatever."

Quigley sighed, fixing me with a look laced with concern rather than annoyance. "I know he's Violet's brother and he's always been fine with me, but I can't just forget your history. I may not know everything that went down but I know he hurt you. I just want you to be careful."

"I know," I said, frustrated. "You think I don't know how to look after myself? I'm an adult, you know."

"Just humour me, Is," he said softly. "Duncan's not here so all the responsibility falls to me."

"Well it doesn't have to. I'm more than capable of looking out for myself." Then I smiled slightly, knowing that this whole talk came from a place of love instead of me being told off. "And I could probably look after you as well if it came down to it."

Quigley scoffed. "Oh yeah? Remind me of all the things you can cook?"

"I have other skills," I argued.