Chapter 8 | The Tractor No One Can Fix

Start from the beginning

Clint let out a heavy sigh "Ultron has these allies — these uh... kids, they're punks really." he stated rolling up his sleeves "They carry a big damn stick. And Rey and Nat took a serious hit. Someone's gonna have to teach 'em some manners." he said walking past his wife.

"And that someone being you." Laura said "You know, I totally support your Avenging, I couldn't be prouder." Laura said following her husband as he walked and sat at the window "But I see those guys, those Gods..." Laura said looking out at Steve and Tony through the window.

"You don't think they need me." Clint stated.

"I think they do." Laura corrected "Which is a lot scarier — they're a mess." Clint looked out and let out another heavy sigh.

"Yeah." he sighed "I guess they're my mess."

"You need to be sure that this team — is really a team and that they have your back." Laura said caressing his hair. Clint looked at her and stood up "Things are changing for us. In a few months time, you and me are gonna be outnumbered. I need-" Laura stopped mid-sentence not wanting to put Clint in a dilemma "-just be sure." she said.

"Yes, ma'am." Clint said nodding. He gave her a small kiss before hugging her to his. She gently touched his side where he had been shot.

"I can feel the difference." she said.

Clint looked down "I... uh..." Clint said pointing his thumb behind him not finding the words to say but his wife understood. If she did not understand then no one could. 

"Go." she said nodding. Clint gave her a grateful smile before walking toward the guest room. Rey was still there staring out the window Clint sighed walking in the room. She had not changed her hair slightly wet and she still wore her bathrobes.

Rey felt a hand caress her hair comfortingly and she knew exactly who it was. Clint was the only one who would come to her without saying a word and just be there to comfort her. "I'm scared." Rey cried out. Clint pursed his lips as he continued to caress her hair. "I've tried to forget it and just when I started to she showed it to me again."

"Rey-"

"You know, it's not her fault." Rey said interrupting Clint "She's blinded by anger and revenge for Papa. I don't blame her, I would do the same. Avenge my parents' deaths, I mean." Rey said she finally turned to look at Clint "Ultron's just using the two of them. It's not their fault." she said shaking her head. When Rey looked up Clint saw her eyes were puffy red and tears stained her face she had been silently crying the whole time.

Clint sighed and cupped Rey's cheeks holding her small face in his large hands "Rey, I don't know what you saw — or what you've been through..." Clint said tears welling in his own eyes "But I know that I will not let you go through it again — None of us will."

Rey smiled and hugged her uncle "Thanks, Uncle Linton."

"You know I still hate you calling me that." Clint grumbled. Rey chuckled pulling away.

"Well, too bad for you — it's stuck." Rey said with a smirk.

◈◉◈

Rey: