Issue #64 - Eternal Light

Start from the beginning

We followed Siren as she led us through various alleyways. After a good while of walking we finally arrived to our destination, a secluded house on the very outskirts of the city.

Siren opened the door, allowing us in. Sophie rested Alexis against the couch, who had her eyes shut and her hands rubbing her temples.

Siren walked over to the kitchen, grabbing a glass of water and some medicine. She walked over to Alexis, slowly sitting her up. Alexis slowly opened her eyes as Siren placed the cup in one hand and medicine in the other.

"This should hopefully help, somewhat." Siren stated.

"Thank...you." Alexis croaked out, downing the glass of water as she swallowed the medicine.

As I stared at her, I could feel my fists tighten. She shouldn't have been hurt. I should've done something, anything...

I bit my lip, wondering if my regenerative ability could help her. I wasn't sure how it would act considering unlike Bloodwraith's injuries, you can't exactly describe Alexis' as physical.

Siren walked into another room as Alexis laid down. She came back with a blanket, placing it over Alexis' figure as she laid down on the couch. "Get some good rest."

"Thank you." I spoke up, looking at Siren.

She turned back to me with a warm smile. "Of course, Jason. Anything for you."

"So...how exactly do you know her, love?" Eleanor questioned, her narrowed eyes darting inbetween the two of us.

"Love? Oh my?" Siren teasingly smiled behind her hand.

"He is mine." Sophie stated, wrapping an arm around my waist and pulling me closer.

"Back away from him." Hikari hissed.

"Oh my, you're quite popular." Siren's grin only widened behind her hand. Which frankly, did a horrible job at hiding her expression.

"As to answer your question..." She then nodded towards Eleanor. "Of course I know him. I'm his mentor, after all. You could even call me his mother. I did adopt him."

You...what?!

Miracle, I know you saw her as your mother, but please tell me that she actually DID become your mother!

"But you're the mentor of..." Hikari's voice died as she stared at me. "...Miracle."

A silence fell over the room. Eleanor glanced at Hikari, before then looking towards Siren. All with a somber look upon her face.

"I'm..." I winced. "...I'm not Miracle."

"It's okay, I understand." Siren nodded. "You're Checkmate now."

"No, that's not-" I frowned. "That's not what I mean. I'm not Miracle. I never was and I never will be."

"Jason...?" Siren cocked her head in confusion.

"Miracle's dead. I buried him myself." I revealed. "Jason was the name he gave me...only for me to find out it was actually his when he died in my arms."

My fists tightened.

"I'm not Miracle. I'm his clone." I continued. "His disappearance was because he was captured and experimented on. And I'm the result of that."

I unclenched my hands, looking down at them as I fought back the tears. Slowly I brought my face back up, staring into Siren's shocked face.

"Look into my eyes, Siren." I ordered, staring at her. "These eyes aren't Miracle's. They're red, not his emerald green. And...I don't hold any memories that he did."