Chapter 5

Sara walked onto the bus with all the other boys from the basketball team, sitting in the front seat. She looked behind her and smiled at Lucas, who put his headphones in. She then looked at Nathan and he winked at her, making her roll her eyes and smile at him. She turned back around before she could see the smile on his face.

She smiled at her grandpa as he sat next to her and grabbed her journal, flipping to the case she was working on now and reviewed what she wrote down. She bit her lip and turned to the case about the art theft, underlining the suspect name: Ryan McCleary. She wrote a question mark beside his brother Jack's name and decided tommorrow she would go to the jail and talk to Jack, seeing if he knew anything else. After the scare in her car, she would try her best to get every detail about Ryan McCleary. She's not giving up until he's behind bars.

Sara sat in the bleachers beside Haley and Mouth, who was announcing the game. Once they were in the second quarter, Sara looked at the game more often, not really caring this time since she doesn't have to be the team's assistant at away games.

All of a sudden, she saw Nathan throw a basketball at Lucas' back, making Lucas tackle Nathan and they both fell, bringing Brooke with them. Sara stood up, worried for all of them. She heard them both be ejected from the game, making Whitey throw his clipboard down in anger. Sara looked at her grandfather and put her head in her hands, knowing that the brother's fueding has been making her grandpa fustrated.

After the game ended, she told Whitey that she would get a ride from Haley and he agreed, not wanting her to see his anger at the two brothers. She went to the bathroom then came back out, walking down the hallway. She stopped when she saw Peyton against the wall.

"What are you still doing here?" Peyton asked, crossing her arms.

"Thinking of transferring." Sara said joking. "I'm assuming you're still here because of Brooke." Sara leaned against the opposite wall of Peyton.

"Yeah, she's still in the athetics room." Peyton replied.

"Is she okay?" Sara asked, concerned for Brooke.

Peyton was about to answer when Brooke came out of the athletics room, reaching for Peyton. Sara's face turned into a suprised expression as Brooke leaned on Peyton. As Brooke said for the trainer to call her, she fell into Sara's arms off balance. Sara didn't even blink  as she held Brooke up, dealing with people who acted drunk or high before. In Brooke's case, she's loopy from taking medicine for her ankle. Peyton moved to help Sara hold Brooke up.

As they moved outside, Brooke started talking again, "What's your name?"

"Sara." Sara said as she tried hard not to roll her eyes as Brooke didn't know her name considering they were lab partners earlier this year, with Sara doing all the work.

"I don't like that name, I'm gonna call you Brooke." Sara looked at Peyton, cracking a smile because of course Brooke would pick her own name. She passed Brooke to Peyton who put her in the car.

"I'll see you later I guess." Sara said about to walk away.

"Where's your ride?"

"I was gonna catch a ride with Haley."

"I saw her leave earlier." Peyton said as Sara nodded.

"I'll take the last bus then." Sara grabbed the strap of her bag.

"It left ten minutes ago." Sara sighed as Peyton replied.

"That's perfect! Brooke you can come with us!" Brooke exclaimed as Sara shook her head.

"I can't-"

"Peyton can she come? Please?" Brooke asked.

Peyton nodded, "Get in."