Normally, I'm the Player, not the Played

Start from the beginning

That night, Margherita barely slept, furious at her own stupidity, devastated by disillusionment

That night, Margherita barely slept, furious at her own stupidity, devastated by disillusionment. Why hadn't she listened to Mauro?!

She couldn't even bawl her eyes out, for fear of waking up her little brother in the top bunk. She bit on the pillow. Judging Chiara for liking an asshole had been so easy, until she'd realized she'd been guilty of the same sin.

Almost two years: that was how long she'd been at Vincitore Academy, how long she'd been meddling with the villain king. Hadn't she thought on the very first day that heartache was inevitable if you fell for an asshole? She deserved the heartache.

Chiara...not so much.

Mauro met Margherita at the school's gate

Mauro met Margherita at the school's gate. Margherita's face was puffy; her eyes red from crying.

"What happened?!" He asked, absorbing her dismay.

She shook her head. "You were right...about everything. I don't want to talk about it."

"Did Re hurt you?!" Mauro blurted. 

She shook her head. 

Mauro relaxed. A broken heart could mend, or so he hoped, with vested interest. Was his own heart broken? He was still uncertain.

As they walked toward the main building, he mumbled, "Laura went on a date with the school rep. I overheard some guys talking about it in the locker room."

"Oh, man, sorry. How are you?"

Mauro shrugged. "I miss her."

"Are they dating?"

Mauro shrugged and put an arm around Marghe. "Here come the broken hearted." Margherita's smile was sad, but at least she'd be safe now. "Did he cheat on you?" He asked.

"No, and we were barely dating anyway. I broke up with him, okay?"

He couldn't wait to tell his brother that Margherita Pescatore had dumped the king himself.

Karma always won. Laura sidled up to them, eyeing Mauro's arm around Margherita. Mauro's grin died.

"Can we talk?" Laura asked, a little morose.