The Emperor then went on to request that the castle close its gates once again. Immediately, Victorino raised concerns about it, something that happened quite often in recent months.

"Your Majesty, last time we met, you promised you would try to win the people over in their hearts. And now, good sir, I must admit it appears you are doing the opposite. Shutting the castle gates is a foolish move. Your promises mean a lot to some of them, Your Highness."

"And why should I bother? Their hearts are coarse as the bark on the trees! O' Victorino, these people hate me no matter what I do! So, I say again, why should I bother? Love and peace are a myth in this new world: an old folktale told by the midwives. It is nothing more, and it is nothing less!" Alexander Dimont grabbed the crown from his head and threw it at one of the walls of the castle.

"You are being irrational, my good sir. Whence shall you see these people, the ones who got you to sit on this throne. You abandon them, betray them and lie to their faces. The throne you sit on may be yours , but the people hold it up, and without the people, the throne falls."

"Look at what they did to my father. Their hearts are wretched, eyes full of malice and scorn. He was a good man with blood as pure as a virgin's kiss. I watched them send that beast to the palace. My father died in mine own arms and before Death knocked at his door, he wanted me to know how much of a failure I was. It was never about the people and it never will be." The Emperor walked away from Sergeant Victorino. He sat in the tranquil gardens. Nature had always helped him cast away his doubts. He emptied his pockets to find the piece of paper given to him when his father's time had come. It was a crumpled piece of paper that had always appeared blank. The paper had started to turn a hue of yellow. Twenty five years had passed since it had happened. Alexander Dimont closed his eyes. It all flooded back to him eventually.

***

Alexander Dimont played in the Royal Gardens. The small child gripped a wooden sword in his hand, pointing it at his opponents. His father's guards watched him like hawks for the last time Alexander had fought someone; the wounds had been so bad the castle had no choice but to send the poor lad home. He faced two royals from one of the other nations yet they were both older than him by at least two years.

"Give up now, Alexander. Your father is such a mighty man but you are a weak, snivelling child. If you surrender, you can be spared from the pain to come." The beefy one in front of Alexander said.

"Never." Alexander Dimont slashed the royal in the thigh. Even though the swords were only wooden, the boy still managed to give his opponent a gash. That was all he needed to get the upper hand. Both of his opponents came to him at once with swords in their hands. One of them still remained without any injuries, that was the one Alexander had to watch out for. Both of the children lunged into an attack. One wooden sword was pointed between Alexander's ribs and the other, pointed to his throat.

"Fool. You are outnumbered. If you try to block one attack, the other will attack. You have lost, Alexander Dimont." The boy grinned smugly at the prince. There was no hope for Alexander Dimont: the children were right. However, he could not give up just yet. Alexander Dimont spun to the left which caught his opponents off guard. There were no longer two swords at his ribs or throat, which gave him the perfect opportunity to fight back. They tried to go for him a second time; Alexander parried one of the attacks, then going for the weaker opponent without hesitation. One of his opponents staggered backwards into a pile of soil, leaving only one left. Johan Bisgaard laughed at the antics of his stupid teammate.

"Well I say. You have a lot of fight in you, Alexander Dimont. You shall be a formidable opponent for me." Johan Bisgaard dashed at him, thrusting the blade into Alexander's stomach. Alexander groaned, keeping one hand to block attacks with and the other to rest on his chest. Johan saw clearly that he had the advantage for the time being.