"Huh? 48 hours?" Naina looked her shocked as she couldn't help but burst out laughing herself.

"You see cadet, we do understand that you all are not used to this life, until now. And it's fine. So, there is no need to feel pressurized about anything. Take your time in adapting to the new environment." Shalini said to her in a gentle voice as Naina nodded.

It was way past the lights out and Naina was fast asleep in her bed. Rajveer was returning from the computer lab after completely some things. He decided to ask about Naina's health and turned towards the infirmary.

Shalini was adjusting Naina's blanket which she had thrown away in her sleep due to a lot of movement. Rajveer stood there leaning on the doorframe as he watched the two of them.

"She really is something, isn't she?" Rajveer asked in a whisper, careful not to wake-up Naina.

Shalini was startled at the voice but immediately relaxed seeing Rajveer there. "She certainly is..." She whispered back as both of them looked at the calmly sleeping girl.

"And Naveen used to say that she was his pampered princess. Look at her now." he said as he pointed towards her scraped knees and sprained ankle. He let out a sigh as he closed his eyes. 

Shalini could see him getting worried for Naina as she too, felt concerned for the girl. So, she decided to calm down the gossiper in her as she asked Rajveer. 

"You know, I was quite shocked to see that cadet (Alekh) speak..." She said in a hushed voice.

Rajveer chuckled but then replied, "I don't know what happened there. But I can assure you that both of these young kids have found a family in each other." He said as he looked at sleeping Naina with a smile. 

Just then, Dr. Ritu decided to enter the room and Shalini could swear she felt a shift in the atmosphere. Ritu glanced at Naina and furrowed her eyebrows as she looked at the two people in the room.

"Not fair, Captains. You both are having a conversation without me..." She slightly pouted and Rajveer groaned internally.

Shalini on the other hand, was now as excited as a teenage girl, trying set up her best friend with some other girl. She said, "Of course not, Ritu. Captain was just passing by and stopped to..." She paused and Rajveer looked at Shalini a bit taken aback. 

Ritu noticed the sudden pause in her voice as turned to look at Shalini, momentarily flicking her gaze away from the man in front of her. 

Shalini acted to get up and adjust Naina's pillow beneath her ankle as she said, "Ah.. I was saying, Captain was passing by and decided to ask about the cadet." Shalini lied confidently and Rajveer almost sighed in relief.

Ritu couldn't stop herself as she said, "Well, there is difference in wanting to do something and being capable of doing something. The girl may have been driven by her passion but it doesn't mean that she is actually capable of completing the tough military training. I mean, from what I have heard from other faculties, she was the pampered little girl in her household. I don't think she'll be able to complete her training... and not to forget that her brother was...." Ritu paused as she realized that she was sitting in the room with Naveen's friends.

Shalini smiled awkwardly while Rajveer averted his gaze. Ritu decided that it would be better to excuse herself, not to make things worse but she heard Rajveer's soft yet crystal clear voice, "But people do change, Dr. Mishra." 

Ritu left the room without saying anything as Rajveer got up and went near Naina's sleeping figure. He bent towards her slightly as Shalini looked at him, curious about the sudden change in Rajveer's behavior.

Rajveer gently wiped a tear that had escaped Naina's eyes as he too, retired for the night.

ALRIGHT GUYS. HOW ARE YOU ALL? WE DO SEE SOME PROGRESS HERE, RIGHT? *WIGGLES EYEBROW EXCITEDLY* ANYWAYS, WHAT DO YOU ALL THINK ABOUT THESE CHANGES I MADE. 

I'VE MADE IT CLEAR BEFORE AND I'LL JUST REPEAT IT AGAIN. I AM TRYING TO KEEP THIS STORY AS CLOSE TO REALITY AS I CAN. I DO NOT WANT TO WRITE THE DRAMATIC VERSION (JUST LIKE THE COLLEGES IN KARAN JOHAR'S MOVIES). SO, I AM CHANGING QUITE A LOT OF THINGS HERE.

DO LEAVE YOUR REVIEWS AND YOUR SUGGESTIONS IN THE COMMENTS. 

PS. I'LL BE TELLING THE ANSWER OF THAT PUZZLE IN THE NEXT CHAPTER.

UNTIL THEN. TAKE CARE EVERYONE.

NEXT UPDATE : WITHIN A WEEK

WORD COUNT : 1351 WORDS

DATE : MARCH 13, 2024