chapter one

Noah glared at the pile of books beside him on his nightstand. He had read each of them at least one time through, some he had read over more than others. Despite his love for the well worn books he couldn't bring himself to read them. The woman who he had been betrothed to for a alliance with another kingdom had finally acted on her words and they were to be wed in the next two months.

The brisk winter air that had filled his room brought him no comfort nor sympathy as he came to terms with his fate being sealed with a stranger whom he had never met before. He was sure the girl was sweet but he couldn't stand the thought of not being with someone he chose himself. He desperately wanted someone who he felt could understand him and that he at least knew. He could tell he was getting misty eyed and refrained from thinking about it any longer.

He brushed his mid length dark brown hair out of his eyes with his hand, pushing the bangs from out of his face. It was nearing 1:30AM and Noah had to awaken by 9:00AM he knew he needed to sleep but he just couldn't do it. he needed someone to talk to. Not many people were awake at this hour besides knights on night duty, servants, and the Castle's jester. He thought to call in a servant to keep him company but he decided against it after remembering that most of them have at least a mild disliking for him due to his lack of caringness for almost anything.

He had never really got to know the jester other than the few times at banquets where he had performed, he seemed annoying and childish to Noah, not just to Noah either most of the castle found him to be quite the sore to listen to. But he decided to give him a chance, one chance.

Noah honestly didn't know how the poor fool hadn't been executed or at least thrown out for his horrible takes and even worse jokes.

Noah rubbed the root of his nose and stretched his arms before begrudgingly stumbling out of his bed and tiredly walking to his door to command his courtier to get the fool from the commoners quarters.

"Please gather the jester from his quarters." Noah asked so politely but with such a demanding tone. He had grown quite accustomed to having people do almost anything for him whenever he wanted, he wondered what his life would be like once he transferred to a different castle. He thought as he sat beside himself waiting for the jester. He took a seat on the wooden floor near his bed. The coldness of his room was not helping his patience which was very thin in the first place. 10 minutes had passed and Noah started to get slightly annoyed by the amount of time it was taking the jester to make it to his room. He wondered what could possibly be making him take this long for a simple walk to a room?

Glass shattering followed by a string of apologies interrupted his thoughts, he looked up from the carpeted wooden floor that he had been staring at and flinched at the abrupt noise.

His attention was now brought to the door, staring at it intently, its was only visible due to the dull candles within his room which he had lit hours before. The noise outside his room seemed to have ceased only to be interrupted again by his door gradually creaking open.

"Heyy" a boy with canary brown hair stepped through the door pointing finger guns at Noah. He ever so leisurely he made his way through Noah's sizable room and leaned on Noah's bed post, looking down at him. A wave of awkward silence covered the room and the boys blue eyes darted around the room uncomfortably.

"I'm in the right room, right?" He questioned, almost to himself but it was slightly audible to Noah. Noah rethought his decision on talking to the boy in front of him, he seemed like a real idiot.

"Yes you're in the right room, my courtier brought you here didn't he?" Noah looked at the jester unpleasantly before continuing.

"What's your name?"