Chapter Thirty Two - Year Three

Start from the beginning

"No one knows." I said. Ron's head whipped around and he looked at both Hermione and I with confusion.

"When did they get here?" He turned around to ask Harry.

"Boggarts are shape-shifters. They take the shape of whatever a particular person fears the most. That's what makes them so-"

"So terrifying, yes, yes, yes." Professor Lupin finished for me. He walked forwards towards the still rattling wardrobe. "Luckily, a very simple charm exists to repel a boggart. Let's practice it now, without wands, please." Lupin asked. "After me. Riddikulus!"

"Riddikulus." The whole class repeated.

"Very good." Lupin told us. The wardrobe shook again and people in the row ahead of us all took a large step back. "A little louder and very clear. Listen: Riddikulus!"

"Riddikulus." Everyone repeated again.

"Very good." Professor Lupin told us. "So much for the easy part. You see, the incantation alone is not enough. What really finishes a boggart is laughter. You need to force it to assume a shape you find truly amusing. Let me explain. Neville, would you join me, please?"  I, along with everyone else, turned to look at Neville. Neville pretended to look around as well, as if looking for someone else with the same name. "Come on, don't be shy. Come on." Professor Lupin urged. Neville looked at Professor Lupin with uncertainty on his face. "Come on." Lupin urged again. Neville then sheepishly walked over to where Professor Lupin was standing. "Hello." Professor Lupin greeted. "Neville, what frightens you most of all?" Neville then mumbled something but it was so quiet I couldn't hear it. "Sorry?" Professor Lupin asked.

"Professor Snape." Neville said louder. Everyone chuckled at Neville's answer including Professor Lupin. 

"Professor Snape. Yes, frightens all. And I believe you live with your grandmother." Lupin questioned.

"Yes, but I don't want that boggart to turn into her, either." Neville told him. Everyone laughed again.

"No," Lupin said, shaking his head. "it won't. I want you to picture her clothes. Only her clothes, very clearly, in your mind."

"She carries a red handbag..."

"We don't need to hear. As long as you see it, we'll see it." Professor Lupin told Neville. "Now, when I open that wardrobe, here's what I want you to do. Excuse me." Lupin walked over to Neville and whispered something in his ear. "Can you do that?" He then asked. The boggart shook the wardrobe again and Professor Lupin nodded. "Wand at the ready." Lupin said, pulling his own wand out of his robe as Neville pulled his wand out. "One, two, three..." With a flick of his wand, Professor Lupin unlocked the wardrobe. It slowly opened, the darkness within it ominous. And then, he appeared.
Professor Snape's face came from out of the darkness. He then stepped out of the closet and began walking towards Neville, slamming the wardrobe door shut behind him. It was just like Snape was actually there. "Think, Neville, think." Professor Lupin urged. Neville pointed his wand towards Snape.

"Riddikulus!" Neville shouted. Professor Snape's usual black robes transformed into a long, green dress. He had a cat around his neck as a scarf and a stuffed vulture on the top of his hat. The entire class burst into laughter and 'Professor Snape' looked distressed.

"Wonderful, Neville, wonderful!" Professor Lupin praised. "Incredible! Okay, to the back, Neville. Everyone form a line." Everyone then rushed to get in line. People were pushing and shoving and I had a hard time sneaking into the line. I looked around for someone who might let me in. I didn't want to go all the way to the back by the Slytherins.

"Emily." I heard someone call out. I looked over to see Harry who was waving me over. I smiled at him and walked over to him. He ushered for me to get in front of him.