Chapter Three

(Jack's POV)

I grab my keys from the tray on the bookcase by the door and twirl them around my finger, feeling dumb and giddy. Date night. I check the clock. 7:24 PM. I've got time.

I get to see Shawn. And not from twenty feet away down a crowded school hallway.

He'll be right in front of me. If I get lucky, he might end up right under me. I grin at the thought, picturing the horrified look he'd have on his face if I said that in front of him.

I take my coat from its hook, slipping it over my flannel and putting my keys in the side pocket. I take my box of cigarettes from my jeans, taking one out and holding it between my teeth while trying to find my lighter.

"Where the hell are you goin', boy?" My grandfather says, flicking the light on.

He leans against the doorframe. Hes a big guy, tough looking and all. White hair and a short beard, warm brown eyes that could either give you the fuzziest feeling or burn a hole through your head. He's still in his button down shirt and jeans from work.

I turn around, wincing. "Uh, out."

He looks at me skeptically, crossing his arms. "Get that thing outta your mouth. You really shouldn't be doin' that. You're still young."

I snatch the cigarette from my lips, sliding it into my chest pocket. "It wasn't even lit, Pa."

"Don't matter. I know you was gonna light it." Pa says, crossing his arms. "I'll say it one more time, Jack. Where. Are. You. Goin'?"

I roll my eyes. "I told you. I'm goin' out."

"Boy, you ain't goin' nowhere if you keep dodging my fuckin' questions."

"I have a date." I say dully, shoving my hands in my pockets. Oh, there's my light.

"A date? What, you gonna find yourself a real nice stupid kid in the street? Take him to a bar? Maybe get lucky?" Pa scoffs.

"No. An actual date." I snap. "I'm takin' a boy to dinner, and I'm paying."

"You serious?"

"No, I'm a pathological liar, Pa."

Pa stares at me for a second, his brows furrowed. Finally, he speaks."You bring him here after, don't be too loud, alright? Your grandmother's got a headache."

"Thanks, Pa."

"Don't smoke any more than two of those, you hear me?" He says firmly.

I open the front door. "Thanks a lot, Pa. I mean it."

"Have fun." He grunts, waving me off and turning back toward the kitchen.

I run down the wet driveway, fumbling with my keys. I climb into the front seat of my truck and start the ignition, backing out of the driveway.

"Hey!" I hear a yell. "Jack!"

I roll down the window, seeing my next door neighbor come running out of his house. He's and Asian kid about Shawn's age, lean and scrappy looking, dressed in the usual grunge-y clothing. Loose tank top with a faded band band logo, baggy jeans and two belts for some reason.

"Will, what the hell?" I sigh.

"Where ya headed?" He breathes, stopping at my window.

"A date, man." I tell him, taking the cigarette from my pocket and lighting up.

"Ooh, a date." Will gives me a crooked smile, flashing the tiny gap in his front teeth. "Is that code something?"

"Nope, it's just a date." I say, puffing smoke out the window. "But I've got loads of time. What's up?"