chapter seven

doom days
chapter seven

Once the gunshots slowed everyone stared at the security guard. While Hank's face deepened with sadness he hurried to grab his rifle "That sounded like it came from camp" he muttered as he walked ahead to see if he could spot anything.

Riley and Taylor were the only ones whose eyes began to leak as Michonne comforted the two with a hug. Rick, Carl, and Maggie were speechless, taken aback by the sudden news. Daryl, unable to see George from the passenger seat, put the pieces together and knew what had been revealed, he shook his head.

Hank came walking back, his expression hard and angry. He huffed before slinging his rifle on his back "What the hell, George!" he shouted "We aren't even finished with this fight! You- you-" he stuttered and leaned on the truck as his head hung low.

"I didn't exactly plan for this, Hank" George scowled, his eyes glistening from tears that formed at his lash line. He then took a breath and let his head fall. "I knew Hank was the better shot, so I hunkered on that hill to be closer, to stop any Martyrs escaping through the back."

The watchman jerked open the driver's side of the automobile, tossed his sniper rifle on top of the dashboard, and slammed the door shut hard enough to make the whole vehicle rattle as he sat in the truck. Red-faced, he turned the engine on before yelling "Get in the truck. It sounded like those gunshots came from Ottawa."

Carl, Maggie, Rick, and Michonne shared an uncommon glance before they took their seats in the truck. Daryl leaned into Rick and began to whisper

"Hank," George began "It's probably the Martyrs taking care of walkers. Just... just let's talk this out"

"You can either get in or walk"

The twins exchanged worried expressions before they hopped in the bed of the truck alongside Carl and Maggie. "Let's just go home, George. We can talk it out there and make sure all's alright. Penny's probably worried" Riley spoke softly

George climbed onto the bed of the truck as he winced in pain. The truck skidded off with a squeal as Hank slammed his foot on the gas. George exhaled again, now on the verge of breaking down in tears before he looked at the two blondes "I never thought it'd happen this way. Guys, I... I am so sorry."

Taylor was sobbing into Riley's jacket while he himself was struggling to keep his tears from falling. Finally, he managed to choke out "You-you're not gone yet"

George looked down at his lap "Yeah,"

"Let's get home," Riley repeated "We need to l-let Penny know."

The larger man nodded a solemn look on his face "Yeah," he repeated more softly his brown eyes shining with tears

As the group neared Ottawa, gunfire began to pierce their ears again as they spotted smoke fluttering in the sky from their home. Hank sped up as Carl, Riley, Taylor, and Maggie sat up straighter, the tears leaving the twins's eyes nearly instantaneously as they drew their guns.

The smell of smoke became overwhelming as Hank slammed the brakes of the red truck and ran out, his rifle aimed and ready. "Bill?!" Hank shouted as he came up to the gates "Open up! What the fuck is going on?! Penny!"

A few tense moments later the gate swung open and a woman dressed in rugged torn clothes with a muddied face held a pistol to the survivors' heads "Welcome back," she smiled