.9

KHUR

       I, Khur Za'ae Veknil, a seasoned warrior, clan mate and second claw to the Kóhai Shadow King, Zidrikai Kujiri Sulgri, victor of the Hasam'tuget, had been fooled.

The small pink hairless creature had become pliant, ever the unruly and stubborn sort, but growing softer and more custom in the ways of love mates that clans often shared. I had been uncertain at first when Zidrikai had all but demanded the little thing hiding in the halls be ours, but was familiar with the strange whims of my chosen kin and rarely fought him on them. For all the years I'd know him, it wasn't often I fully understood the twist and turns of my king's brain.

It wasn't hard to see that despite Kai's many love mate courting proposals our new little pet did not know the customs of our people and therefore could not, or possibly would not give the traditional response required of a love mate to join a clan also known as the hah'ki vows.

As a king, though it had not been long since the viscous Hasam'tuget that had crowded him, Kai was not accustomed to hearing no and pressed boundaries he often should not. It was quite obvious when are little lover did not want something, but my King often chose to misunderstand on purpose. A devilishly bad and disgraceful habit he had gotten into that I had growled warnings about on multiple occasions. The little pink creature had no issues growling his own warnings himself, loud and ferocious little thing he was, all fists and rage, though his little language was all hums and squeaks like the little blind feathered snow creatures called a Rix, that lived beneath the spiky grey tree's called Eldrosi back on our home planet. 

They were the frozen giants that interconnected our civilization, a massive forest as tall as mountains millennium old and all related to a single mother tree by trillions of interconnecting roots beneath the rock and ice. The Rix were small, blind little things with loud ear curling scream's for warning calls when you disturbed one of their nests which they liked to make and link with the aid of the Eldrosi mother roots. It was said that if a Kóhani was lost they could close their eyes and follow the whispers of the Rix's feathers along the Eldrosi roots and Drusyl the mother tree would show you the way home.

My own nesting clan had taught me as a cub how to skillfully detect a nest as to avoid alerting other larger predators to your whereabouts and I had taught my young king, long before his Hasam'tuget that had crowd him as such.

And the days went by though, hearing those warnings from our little mate only worried me more and more. He wasn't exactly warming up to me nor was he a huge fan of Zidrikai, though it was the hard headed cubs own fault. Our little Rix seemed to fear our touch less and less as the days went on, those loud warnings farther a fewer as time passed. Still I worried, but my King's never wavering confidence was contagious, his determination to win our hah'ki vows bolstering my own resolve to have our future lover give into our whims.

He was also more lenient with our unsuspecting love mate than he ought to be, as I had warned him numerous times, but now I was the lenient one. Like an inexperienced cub freshly released from my nesting clan, I had let the little creature best me, if only for a moment, and escape the safety of our quarters.

The Jaxelis Vex'ryn are a cold race-much like the cold underground stone they chose to call their home-dealing in anything lavish they can get their hands on but more often than not made a point to buy and trade what they considered to be rare and exotic breeds.

Had Kai not stepped in the little creature would likely be galaxies away by now a love or breeding slave to a far less accommodative master. Or even more likely, dead, for its naturally stubborn nature. The Jaxelis Vex'ryn had all about cut their losses, though they dealt with exotic breeds they did not believe in breaking their slaves, though it was more that it was considered a waste of time and therefore a waste of money which was against their codes than them actually caring about nonviolence. They would faster sell a creature for its meat or babies than deal with its unruliness.