.7

BENNETT

       The dynamic I found myself in grew increasingly perplexing the longer I remained in the quarters of my two overly friendly alien companions. Despite the absence of any visible exchange of currency, I harbored a growing certainty that the aristocrats were, in fact, involved in a sort of alien trafficking ring. It was possible they had already sold me to what I had teasingly nicknamed the "death kitty duo" - I figured there was no reason not to get a laugh or two in at their expense with my fate being so far out of my hands - or were contemplating doing so soon.

At the moment, the royal half of the duo was nowhere to be found, and the warrior appeared to be seizing that as an opportunity to express a peculiar form of affection towards me. Despite my ever-growing reluctance. The thump of his long grey tail against the many blankets adorning the bed was my wake up call for the morning. At the sight of my rumpled form moving across the sheets, his thumping grew louder until he was all together pulling me from the bed and across the spacious chamber adorned with minimalistic yet elegant marbled designs. Now the aliens long noisy tail was coiled with what I could only assume was anticipation, while it's emerald green eyes shimmered with a mixture of eagerness and determination.

I could feel the sincerity in the alien's gestures as it attempted, in its own peculiar manner, to sit me down and offer me food again. However, it seemed unaware of my disdain for mornings, especially when roused before I was fully prepared. The room's ambiance, dimly lit with a warm, comforting glow- a sign of the early morning hour-contrasted with the alien's persistently endearing gestures, creating an unusual but strangely intimate moment that I wanted no part of. A fact I was very vocal about.

Only verbally complaining got me nowhere, and so for the past forty-five minutes, I've been squirming uncomfortably, desperately trying to put some space between myself and the snow leopard-like warrior. Every attempt to escape those powerful, muscular arms only resulted in me being gently pulled back, ensnared once more within the alien's strong embrace. Despite my unease, the creature's contented chuffs, akin to gentle laughter, reverberate through the space, creating an oddly tender atmosphere.

The room, bathed in a serene sunrise glow, provides a tranquil backdrop to this bizarre yet oddly intimate breakfast situation. If I wasn't so unsure of these new aliens, I might have found it in me to laugh at myself. I must look pretty silly right now. Suddenly the peculiar and somewhat intimate feeling of the aliens long, dark tongue does exactly that, as it grazes my cheek and neck. The sensation triggers the impulse to cringe in disgust at the same time a giggle bubbles from my chest. I suppressed the laughter almost immediately after it leaves my mouth, diverting my head away from the offered food and pushing my hand against the aliens mouth to prevent any more rouge tongue action.

The warrior makes a noise then, like a deep, angry rumbling that starts low in his belly. The strength of it seems to resonate through my entire body, and haunting sensation of fangs grazing my palm have my breath hitching in fear. Scared I jerk my hand away, only to realize there is no obvious signs of aggression or anger coming from the creature before me. Only an very alien version of a cheeky grin and a sneaky, curious tail curling up and around my leg.

The laugh does escape me then, and for a moment I don't try to temper it, but only for a moment.

The dish served for breakfast, consisting of greasy, meaty strips that bore no resemblance to anything familiar I had seen before had my stomach rolling at first glance. But despite its strange appearance, the aroma wafting from the meal was tantalizingly rich and hearty, reminiscent of a succulent steak sizzling on the grill.

As I caught the scent, memories of home stirred within me, causing a rumble in my stomach. Yet, even with my morning hunger gnawing at me, the unfamiliar color of the meat between the warrior's fingers gave me pause. The enticing aroma conflicted with the distrust bred from the food's unusual appearance. What if consuming this made me unwell?