A HELPING HAND

Another day, another race against time

Another day, another race against time. I sprinted through the school corridors, my heart pounding in my chest as I skidded to a halt outside the classroom door. The bell had already rung, and I could hear the distant murmur of the teacher's voice filtering through the closed door.

Ignoring the disapproving glares of my classmates, I slipped into the room and made my way to my usual seat beside Mark. He shot me a smirk as I settled in, his expression smug with the knowledge that I was once again late for class.

But as I glanced around the room, my eyes landed on an empty seat at the far side of the classroom—a seat that belonged to Aria. It struck me as odd, for Aria was not one to skip school without reason. I pushed aside the nagging curiosity and turned my attention back to Mark, eager to catch up on whatever mischief he had been up to.

As the class droned on, I found myself growing increasingly restless, my attention drifting away from the lesson at hand. My mind kept wandering back to Aria, a sense of unease settling in the pit of my stomach. I couldn't shake the feeling that something was amiss, that there was more to her absence than met the eye.

And then, just as I was about to dismiss my concerns as nothing more than paranoia, the classroom door swung open with a creak, and in walked Aria. My breath caught in my throat as I took in her pale and haggard appearance, her eyes weary and her steps faltering as she made her way to her seat.

A wave of sympathy washed over me as I watched her struggle, a pang of guilt gnawing at my conscience for the dismissive thoughts I had entertained earlier. But before I could say or do anything, the teacher's stern voice broke through the silence, her warning ringing in Aria's ears like a death knell.

I watched helplessly as Aria sank into her seat, her shoulders slumped with exhaustion and defeat.

...

As I watched Aria from my seat, a pang of concern tugged at my heartstrings. Her head rested heavily on the table, her breaths shallow and labored as exhaustion claimed her. When the teacher called upon her to deliver the books to the teacher's lounge, I saw the weariness in her eyes as she nodded in compliance.

Aria rose from her seat, her movements sluggish and unsteady as she made her way to retrieve the books. The weight of her punishment seemed to bear down on her shoulders, and I couldn't help but feel a twinge of guilt for not intervening sooner.

With a sense of urgency gnawing at my conscience, I rose from my seat under the pretense of heading to the restroom. The teacher's gaze followed me, her brow furrowed in suspicion as she questioned my sudden departure.

"Toilet," I replied curtly, my voice lacking its usual bravado as I made my way out of the classroom. But my true intention lay elsewhere — to follow behind Aria and ensure her safety.

As I hurried down the hallway, I caught sight of Aria struggling beneath the weight of the books, her steps faltering with each labored breath. My heart clenched with empathy as I watched her sway from side to side, her movements growing more unsteady by the moment.

And then, without warning, she collapsed to the ground like a fragile doll, her eyes shut tight against the pain that wracked her body. Panic surged through me as I rushed to her side, my hands trembling as I tried in vain to rouse her from her unconscious state.

But Aria remained unresponsive, her skin pale and clammy to the touch, her body burning with fever. With no time to spare, I scooped her up into my arms, her slight frame limp against my chest as I carried her bridal style through the empty corridors.

As I rushed towards the nurse's office, my mind raced with worry and uncertainty. What had caused Aria to fall ill so suddenly? And more importantly, what could I do to help her?

But amidst the chaos and confusion, one thing was certain — I would do whatever it took to ensure Aria's well-being, to be a source of comfort and support in her time of need.

And as I burst through the doors of the nurse's office, Aria cradled in my arms, I knew that no matter what challenges lay ahead, I would face them head-on, guided by the unwavering belief that together, we could overcome any obstacle that stood in our way.

Little did I know, however, that as I tended to Aria's needs, someone else was watching our every move from afar, their intentions shrouded in mystery and intrigue.

...