still a mystery...

Sophie briefly wondered if Howl could even see you. 

Howl would sometimes move to go up to his room, but Micheal would be quick to mention that you were up there. Sighing, Howl would run a hand through his hair, pondering over his next move, before heading over to the bathroom or the black door, with his guitar. 

You were always up there, it seemed. 

The same way that Howl's sanctuary in the moving castle seemed to be the horrifyingly unclean bathroom, yours seemed to be the mysterious room upstairs that you shared with Howl. 

Sophie was thankful that she hadn't seen an interaction between the two of you for so long, though, because the second it finally happened, Sophie wished to never be in a room with the two of you in it, ever again. 

Despite the presence of Micheal and Calcifer, Sophie could feel how tense the room became the second you stepped in downstairs. 

You were probably half asleep before you'd opened the door from the stairs, since you were midway rubbing your eyes when the sight of Howl, who had just entered the home, made your face the most panicked that Sophie had ever seen it. 

Howl smirked. 

"The princess has finally awoken from her slumber." 

You rolled your eyes, a bit fidgety with your hair as you scratched it. 

"Sophie, can you do my hair for me?" 

Sophie grunted, sitting up straighter, and gesturing you over. Howl raised a brow, as he leaned his guitar on the wall next to the door. "Whatever is this ordeal?" He whispered to Micheal as the boy set up plates for breakfast. 

"Y/N's hair was unruly one day and Sophie insisted on helping her... and now Y/N asks." 

Howl narrowed his eyes at Sophie. "Are we certain that old woman isn't a witch?"

Micheal shrugged. "Calcifer let her in, didn't he?" He raised an eyebrow at his mentor. "And what made you think that?" 

Howl shrugged, tilting his head as he watched Sophie's wrinkly and shaky hands work their way through your hair, giving you a nice head massage before she did your hair. "Y/N's usually not this receptive to people." 

Micheal huffed. "She's usually not receptive to you." 

Howl waved his mentee off. "We're"- 

"You used to be," Micheal interrupted. Sophie was about to groan. Maybe it was because the two weren't used to living alone, but they weren't very good at hiding their conversations. She almost got the answer to who you were to Howl. All she knew now was that, you used to be whatever Howl thought of you as. "She doesn't like you enough to still think of you the same." 

Sophie felt unnerved by the way that you refused to even acknowledge Howl's presence. Howl didn't seem to mind much. He'd talk to you, even if you never seemed to reply. 

That night, she did notice it when Howl left the bathroom and went upstairs - presumably to your room. And she very much so wondered what on earth could happen up there. After all, you seemed like you couldn't stand to be in a room with him. Could you fare being alone with him? 

"Sophie will come up here tomorrow." 

Howl fell back on the bed, waving his arm around dramatically, as if he were performing a spell. "She speaks!" 

"And that's all she will say." 

Howl huffed. "Unbutton my shirt, will you?" 

You rolled your eyes. "I'm not your servant." 

"Please," Howl mocked, his lips forming an overexaggerated pout as he flashed his best attempt at puppy eyes. You didn't like his face, so you could find nothing about him adorable. 

"No." 

"You hurt me, Y/N." 

"You hurt me first, Howl." 

Howl sighed, sitting up on the bed. "Will you not let that go?" 

You grit your teeth. "You let out one more word, and I will make my way downstairs to sleep on the workbench. I'd find much more comfort near dear old Sophie, anyways." 

"Do you really like that old hag?" 

"How dare you," you grumbled. "That wonderful old woman is getting this place back into shape. It's been wonderful to breath in something other than dust for once." 

"You're dramatic." 

"I better not have heard that from you." 

"My apologies." He pat the side of the bed next to him, smiling. "Why don't you come to bed now? Relax with me, my darling." 

You hesitated. "I told you not to call me that." 

"Now, why can't I? You know you're special to me." 

"Howl," you said, a serious edge to your voice, as if you were ready to berate him even further. 

Howl sighed. "Okay. I won't." 

You moved to sit on the bed, next to him. "Remember what I said? About Sophie?" 

"Yes, yes, thank you for telling me." He could've figured out that this was the next place that the old woman was planning to overtake and ruin. He gently placed a soft hand on your shoulder, pushing you down against the bed. He hovered over you, carefully watching the way you tensed under his touch. You looked away when his eyes tried to reach yours.

"Goodnight, my love." 

You couldn't find it in yourself to argue against every nickname.