Book 3, Chapter 4

Start from the beginning

A spotlight pointed to a figure on the stage, his fedora lowered over his eyes. The stage lights brighten the dull room enough to reveal a young man standing in the cringiest attempted cool pose she'd ever seen.

"A band of unfortunate souls who failed to break into the top fifty. Welcome to the Mostro Lounge." He turned, an unsettling businessman smile painted on his lips.

"I'm sure you're all WELL aware of who I am, but let's go over it again anyway. My name is Azul Ashengrotto." He bowed, exuding an air of perceived superiority. Yuu instantly disliked this boy.

"I am the housewarden of Octavinelle Dorm, the manager of the Mostro Lounge cafe, aaand..." He smirked. "...as of today, you have to listen to everything I say."

"Say what?" Jack muttered, eyes wide in shock.

Yuu bit the inside of her cheek, annoyance flaring deep in her chest as she turned to Jack. "Hold me back. Hold me back, cause if he keeps talking, I'm throwing hands-" Jack grabbed her by the arm, securing the increasingly aggressive pregnant woman.

"You made a bet with me, and subsequently lost." He said this, grating Yuu's nerves. "As per terms of our contract, you are to devote yourself to my service until such time as you graduate."

Ace's voice rang through the air, slightly snapping Yuu out of her slight bloodlust. "Hey, hold on. This is all a huge scam!"

Azul pushed his glasses up, looking down at Ace. "You're...Ace Trappola, a freshman, if memory serves. Your accusations are insulting, frankly." He sighed, putting on an accusatory tone. "I upheld my end of the bargain and provided you with an impeccably flawless study guide for your exams. If you used it properly, you should have scored at least a ninety."

"Yeah, and I did. I got a ninety-two!" Ace rebutted defensively, making Azul give another smirk.

"Why, that's wonderful news! I'm delighted to have been of service."

"You never told me you'd given the same study guide to this many other people!" Ace protested.

"Yeah, Ace is right. No study guide could help us break into the top fifty when the deck's this stacked!" Deuce agreed.

"When everybody else is scorin' over ninety, even with my eighty-five, my spot in the rankings is no different than when I was failin'!" Grim yowled.

"Have you boys never heard of client confidentiality?" Azul defended. "'I want an easy way to score high marks. I don't want to flunk out. I want to goof off until the night before the test...' All of you fools-" Azul paused, clearing his throat. "I mean, gentlemen-had your own reasons for seeking my help with your finals."

Yuu stared at Azul as he defended himself, practically throwing verbal stones at the boys present.

"Details such as who made a contract with me, what kind of contract it was, and why it was made... That's all privileged data."

Yuu glared at the boy on stage, bristling at his words. "I'm gonna kill him-"

Jack held her back. "Calm down, Yuu. This isn't good for you."

"Who am I to divulge someone's personal information to a third party? I am a man of integrity, thank you very much." Azul continued. "You will find this exact topic covered extensively in the non-disclosure agreement clause on page 127 of your contract. I simply abided by its terms."

Yuu heard Grim's whimper. "O-okay, then what happens to the fire magic I put up as collateral for the study guide?"

Several other boys agreed, protesting Azul's harsh collateral.

Azul seemed to force a grin, looking at the boys who cowered under his gaze. "What's this? Have you really forgotten the terms of your contract?"

Azul summoned a contract, clearing his throat as he loudly read the outline of the agreement. Each boy flinched and cowered, lowering their gaze as they recalled the terms.

"As outlined in the contract, I now control every part of your beings down to every last hair on your heads. In other words, your powers are mine, to return or not as I please."

"That ain't fair!" Ace cried.

"So... when Grim and Ace refused to fight..." The young woman bit her lip, clenching her fist as she forced the frustration down, trying to drown it.

A sudden snarl beside her made Yuu snap out of her anger as Jack opened his mouth, fangs bared.

"Y'know, I've been listening to this whole spectacle...and ALL of you disgust me!" He snarled, releasing his grip on Yuu.

She looked at her friend, gaze more concerned than angry. "Jack..."

A familiar yelp echoed in the lounge as their presence was finally noted by their friends. "Yuu?! J-Jack?! What are you doing here?"

Yuu gave an awkward wave to her friends, noting how Azul's eyes narrowed at the two trespassers.

Something feels off...