Chapter 9

She and Grim walked to their designated area, pushing around a cart that contained a broom, a mop, some rags, and several other cleaning supplies. The school was beautiful, but it was also big, so she was thankful for the task not taking place in a different area.

"Wow, so this is Main Street, huh? This is incredible! I didn't get to see it much yesterday." Grim cried out in awe, looking around with childish joy.

"Yeah, it is. This resembles some sort of University campus rather than a high school one. These kids sure have it easy." She remarked playfully before grabbing the broom. "Grab a rag, Grim. You're wiping the plates on the statues down so we can polish."

"Yeah, yeah." Grim paused before grabbing a rag, wrinkling his nose in distaste. Despite not having any thumbs, Grim still managed to grip onto the piece of cloth, running over to the statue and looking up. "Geez. Hench human, What's the deal with these seven statues? All their faces look pretty scary." She watched as he approached the first one.

"Like, this lady here looks like she's got some reeeal anger management issues." He pointed to a very tall, regal looking woman who carried a heart-shaped scepter.

Yuu narrowed her eyes, tilting her head slightly before giggling. "Yeah, you're right! She does look like she gets angry a lot." She saw Grim smirk before she attempted to go back to sweeping.

Until she heard a snort from behind her and she whipped her head around to look. A strange ginger haired boy looked back at her, carrying himself with the air of a trickster.

"You don't know the Queen of Hearts?" He asked, seemingly friendly. She clutched her broom closer to her chest, raising a brow.

"Not really... no." She stated, distrusting. She saw Grim put the rag down and run towards the new boy.

"Queen of Hearts? Is she some kinda big deal?" The cat monster asked. Yuu watched the ginger begin to formulate an idea as he began to explain.

"I mean... yeah. She was a queen who lived in a maze-like garden of roses long, long ago. She was a strict woman who prized order above all." The boy described a woman obsessed with things going her way, a terrifying tyrant who would kill if something was even slightly off. Yuu slowed her sweeping, pausing to look at Ace.

"That's just... Yikes." She shuddered while she continued to push the dust on main street to the outer edges.

"That's seriously messed up!" Grim yowled.

"Pretty cool, right? I'm a big fan." The boy gushed. "I mean, who would bother to obey a queen that was kind all the time?"

"Yeah, true. A leader needs to be strong." Grim agreed.

Yuu paused for a moment, wrinkling her nose. "You scare me sometimes, Grim." She deadpanned. "Now keep working or I'll limit your lunch." She attempted to adopt the power that mothers tended to have.

"Yeah, fine." Grim stated dismissively, still in awe of the student that was distracting them. "Puttin' that aside... Who're you, now?" He asked the ginger haired boy.

The boy, in turn, gave an amused cackle before bowing playfully. "Name's Ace. I'm a first year student here, as of... today! Pleased to meetcha!"

"I'm Grim! I'm a prodigy who's plannin' to be, like, the greatest mage who ever lived." Grim hopped up to one of the statues' pedestals, returning a wonky looking bow. He then gestured to Yuu dismissively. "That there's my far less interesting hench-human." This little shi- Yuu's mouth opened, a look of offense marring her facial features.

"Yuu. My family calls me Yuu or Pita. Other people just call me Yuu." She introduced herself, nodding at Ace.

"'Yuu?' Huh. Name's got an odd ring to it." He stated, something in his eyes unsettling the young, pregnant woman.

"Just so you know, I'm not anyone's hench-anything. As a matter of fact," She began, glaring at Grim, who simply ignored her. "I am the one in charge of the cat-gremlin." The way Grim snapped his neck to look at her was almost comical as his eyes lidded and his little mouth opened indignantly.

"Hmph! Rude." Grim grumbled before returning all his attention to Ace. Yuu rolled her eyes, zoning out as she allowed the familiar feel of sweeping take her away from the current suspicious conversations.

With Grace, she gathered any dust and dirt, remembering her past fiance, and how they'd met. She had been tasked to help another guy with sweeping after a Senior prank gone wrong when they were Sophomores. It was stupid, but she'd been glad the two had been placed together. She forced down the pang in her heart.

Focus on the conversation. I can't let them see me cry. She thought to herself, zoning back in. She looked at Ace's demeanor change, as if he were gearing up for something. He explained the story behind the statue of the horned woman to a very animated Grim.

"Ooh. a dragon! What all monsters yearn to be!" Grim bounced excitedly like a toddler.

"Pretty cool, huh? Not like some piddling weasel." The malicious intent was sudden, but not surprising. Yuu prepared to hit both of them, clutching the broom in both hands. This... this is gonna be a long day.