Chapter 18: Some Soul-Searching and Pokémon Rescuing

Start from the beginning

Parker's face didn't change at all, but in his head, he was becoming a little fearful of what these people might've defined as food and shelter...

"What in the world have I gotten myself into...?" he thought.

Laurier Maison
Northern Kiloude City

"Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, let's welcome our next trio of Performers!" Monsieur Pierre announced loudly with a twirl of his staff.

Ash, Selene, and the rest of their group exploded into a loud cheer alongside the rest of the audience as they watched Serena, Braixen, and Sylveon complete their ascent to the stage on their assigned platform. Once the platform was done rising, the honey-blonde and her Pokémon looked at the audience with identical bright smiles.

"YEAH, SERENA! WHOO!" Calem roared with excitement.

"THERE'S MY LITTLE JOCKEY!" clamored Grace, her voice filled with pride.

"YOU'VE GOT THIS, SERENA!" Ash called. "YOU CAN DO IT!"

"PIKA PIKA-CHU!" Pikachu added loudly.

"GO, SERENA!" Bonnie shrieked at the top of her lungs.

"NENENE!" Dedenne squeaked.

"GO, MOMMY!" Selene cheered with a raised fist of determination. "GO, MOMMY!"

"PICHU-PI!" Pichu added enthusiastically.

Serena seemed to hear their cries of encouragement, for she looked towards their direction and gave them the brightest smile possible. All of a sudden, her sapphire-blue eyes met with Ash's auburn ones, on a random whim, and the Pallet Town Trainer immediately felt something linking them together in that small, seemingly infinitesimal moment. He could see Serena's face turning a little pink even if she was onstage, illuminated by bright lights.

Not that he blamed her, though. He could feel himself blushing as well.

"Do you want to marry Serena? Like, do you want her as your wife?"

Nate's questioning words filled Ash's thoughts and stubbornly remained there like a leech, prompting the Trainer's blush to strengthen noticeably. In a desperate attempt to avert her gaze and avoid any further awkwardness, Ash glanced at the other Performers competing alongside his friend...and immediately recognized them.

"Hey," he said, tapping Clemont's shoulder to get his attention. "Isn't that Amelia and Sara Lee?"

The inventor briefly adjusted his glasses to get a better look at the other two girls. It didn't take long for him to nod in affirmation.

"Yeah, that's them," he replied. He then looked at Ash. "Two new, bitter rivals competing against her at the same time? Serena's gonna have to be at the top of her game if she's gonna win this Theme Performance."

"Whoa, the stage is changing again, Daddy!" Selene suddenly squeaked, pointing excitedly at the stage.

Indeed, the entire stage was changing: the entire wall holding the small mezzanine and identical staircases was turning around, revealing a mock-skyline reminiscent of Lumiose City. A multitude of props were emerging from the walls, all of them relating to cities, such as quaint trees, fire hydrants, cobblestone streets, and so on and so forth. Once the whole transformation sequence was complete, Monsieur Pierre stood in the front and center of the stage, and held out his arms dramatically.

"Now that the stage is set and ready to go, I'll go over the rules for everyone watching at this moment!" he announced. "I'm sure you all remember the Pokémon Search-and-Rescue Theme Performance from the Brindille Town Showcase?"