Chapter Thirteen: The Therapist

For the next three days my Dad visited every spare moment he had. André and Robbie would visit for an hour or two, trying to catch me up on what had been happening for the past two years of my life. Tori visited me until guest hours ended, and even then nurses and doctors had to take her away. She was actually kind of okay... annoying as hell, a try hard, pushy, a cliché, naïve happy endings person, and she'd probably end up stealing all the parts I'd want when I went back to H.A, but there was actually some cool stuff about her. Beck stayed clear entirely and Cat, with the hospital believing she was a close cousin of mine, slept in my bed with me every night, jabbering on and on about pointless, idiotic things that put me at ease as my dad slept in a nearby chair. Even with all the other shit piled going on, life could be worse.

I wrapped my arm around Cat, who was curled into the fetal position. Her red-velvet hair sprawled across the pillow as she quietly sucked on her thumb. I chuckled. The world may have changed, my life may have changed, but it was nice to know that Cat would never, ever change.

"Will you sing me to sleep?" Cat whispered quietly.

"No."

"Please," she whined.

"No."

"But Jadey."

"Don't call me that!"

She paused. "So you'll do it?"

"No," I responded in disbelief.

"It's scary," she murmured. I was stunned into silence. Sure hospitals were full of people on their deathbeds or going bald, your average, tragic story. But I never considered it scary. But then again, nothing really scared me. The small part of my heart that allowed me to love people like my dad and Beck, ached for Cat.

I relented. "Okay."

"Yay," Cat cheered quietly. I could feel her arm move as she gripped Mr. Longneck tighter, cuddling closer to me.

Hush, little baby, don't say a word. Papa's gonna buy you a mockingbird

And if that mockingbird won't sing,

Papa's gonna buy you a diamond ring

And if that diamond ring turns brass,

Papa's gonna buy you a looking glass

And if that looking glass gets broke,

Papa's gonna buy you a billy goat

And if that billy goat won't pull,

Papa's gonna buy you a cart and bull

And if that cart and bull fall down,

You'll still be the prettiest girl in town

I sang that song to Geoff all the time. When he was just a baby I'd sing him to sleep every night. Since Cat reminded me so much of a baby I chose this song. A soft snore filled the room and I knew Cat was out. I smiled as I wrapped an arm around her.

I woke up and Cat was taking up ninety-nine percent of the bed. Her left leg was sprawled over mine, her right off the bed, her right arm high up on my pillow, and her left arm draped over her chest, her thumb still in her mouth. Her head lay to the very left of the bed, but still face my direction, and drool was dribbling down the side of her thumb. I smiled and slipped out of bed, trying not to awaken my best friend.

I turned on my phone by the nearby table reading the time. 10: 12. I walked into the bathroom and washed my face, used the toilet, took a quick shower, and swished some mint mouth rinse around. When I came out Cat was awake, petting Mr. Longneck, my dad was gone, probably going out to the coffee machine, Tori was sitting in a chair, playing a game on her pear-phone, and some random lady who looked fresh out of college. She wore some red jeans from Old Navy with a light pink top from Abercrombie and Fitch. I raised my pierced eyebrow.