FIRST CONTACT

❝The stars are a dream I would rather not live in❞
❝You should have thought about that before joining Starfleet❞

- • -

Less than 90 light years from Earth is Trillius Prime, known as Trill by most. The inhabitants - the Trill - look like every other humanoid save for the rows of spots that run head to toe on either side of their bodies. Although below the surface they are everything but the average humanoid. The Trill are one of the few sentient beings that form a symbiotic bond with another symbiotic creature. They can act as hosts for the Symbiont, a parasite like species that once bonded, can only survive inside a Trill.

In this alien culture, being joined is highly praised and just as highly sought after. On a planet of just over 650 million inhabitants, only 11 million are joined to a Symbiont. To become part of the ancient tradition, Trill are carefully selected, go through arduous training and tests before being approved by the high council in the planet's capital; Mak'ala. Although becoming joined is so entwined with their culture, not everyone wishes to go through the life changing experience nor is everyone genetically able to be hosts for the Symbiont.

Wren Velaquez is as down to 'earth' as a Trill can get. She lives far away from the impeding cityscape with her mother, spending their days on an isolated farm. Her species may be technologically advanced, with warpdrive in their hands since the age of antiquity but Wren ignores the gadgets and gizmos; living the life of the ancients. While others jump at the idea of summer vacations to distant planets like Risa or living off world amongst diverse species, Wren chose the slower paced life among the trees and crops. Much to her mother's dislike, Wren views the stars as if they were a dream she would rather not live in; white pinpricks in the silk of night, only to observe and study instead of walking among the distant lights.

Although, when Wren is caught up in a series of (un)fortunate life changing events, she finds herself joined to the Dax Symbiont and on a mission that will take her to the far reaches of the stars she only dared dream of.

STARRING;
emma watson as wren

- • -

[Author's Note]

• I wrote part of this story three years ago and published it on this account for a while but look it down because I had no idea what I was doing with the story that was once called 'Spots'. Now I know the non reboot Trek fandom on Wattpad isn't exactly vast. And I know that within that fraction of the fandom on here, very few would be interested in an OC story set after any of the tv series'. So I know this story won't collect a hella lot of reads but since 2013, the story of Wren has lingered and oh boy, I just really love the Trill so doing a Trill OC was a must. For those of you reading, thank you for being the minute portion of wattpad that likes 90s Trek. I love y'all to bits x

• characters from voyager and deep space nine will show up as well as some kids of some trek couples. this story will also have a lot of influence from voyager although wren's character development will be mainly due to ds9. tbh this fic has just been an excuse to delve really deep into trek lore and I have zero shame.

• This will be updated sporadically as I rewrite chapters but it probably won't be getting regular updates until I finish In Theory