1. ᴛʜᴇ ʙᴇɢɪɴɴɪɴɢ ᴏꜰ ᴅᴇᴄᴇᴘᴛɪᴏɴ

𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐊𝐡𝐚𝐧𝐧𝐚 𝐒𝐢𝐬𝐭𝐞𝐫𝐬 (ᴛʜɪʀᴅ ᴘᴇʀꜱᴏɴ ᴘᴏᴠ)

"Di, if you attempt that jump, forget about breaking the glass ceiling; you'll end up breaking your bones! Picture this: a dramatic entrance to your wedding with crutches and a cast. You'll be the bride who hobbles down the aisle to Mr. Stranger, your knight in shining plaster. It's the kind of grand entrance only an orthopedic surgeon would applaud!" Ahsaas grinned at Arisha like a Cheshire cat.

"Shut up, will you?" Arisha glared at Ahsaas. She was on the verge of making the biggest decision of her life – a choice that held the power to either be her downfall or grant her the freedom she had always longed for.

"What should I do, Chicku? If I run away, Mom would never accept me, but if I stay, I'll end up in a loveless marriage." Arisha hugged Ahsaas out of nowhere and broke down in tears.

"Di, you go," Ahsaas spoke, her voice eerily calm. It was almost scary how her tone shifted as if a switch flipped inside of her.

"But Chiku—"

"No 'buts' and 'ifs,' Di. Just go. What can go wrong? You tried telling them you're not interested in getting married, and they didn't listen to you. So, fine. It's your life, Di."

all Arisha could do was weep silently at her sister's words.  Memories of their childhood came flooding into her brain, making it hard to breathe.

"Mom would kill you," Arisha said with a tremor in her voice.

"Mami will scold me, beat me. That's it. You can't sacrifice your whole life for us. You've done enough," Ahsaas replied, her words carrying the weight of unspoken emotions.

But everyone will-

"The backdoor. Nobody is there. Go" She persuaded her sister to elope discreetly through the back door, knowing well that it would attract minimal attention. Additionally, Arisha was not adorned in her bridal attire, making the escape even more inconspicuous.

That's when her phone rang, startling Ahsaas. Titash, her best friend's number, flashed on the screen. "Perfect timing," she thought.

It was indeed perfect, to the extent that it felt like the universe itself had woven the conspiracy.

"Dude, where is the venue?" Titash shouted from the other side of the phone.

"Send me your location. I will be there to pick you up," Ahsaas said as she made her way to her Maami to inform her. She explained that her friend couldn't find the venue, and she needed to pick them up.

Twenty minutes had passed, yet the atmosphere at the wedding venue remained distinctly unusual.

Imagine what your wedding day should be — filled with music, joy, and promises of a new beginning. However, this wedding deviated from the norm. A hush-hush whisper circulated, "The bride has eloped."

.........

On the opposite end of the venue, Arzoo wandered aimlessly. The only aspect of this wedding that sparked any enthusiasm within her was the prospect of the food. All she desired was to swiftly finish her dinner, head straight home, and indulge in a good read.

To be honest, she was never close to Arisha. In fact, after learning the truth, she found herself harboring even more intense feelings of dislike towards her. It pained her to realize that her own sister, Ahsaas, seemed to prefer Arisha over her.

Her heart felt heavy today. It marked the 13th year since her father walked out of their lives. She had loved him deeply, more than anyone could have imagined, but he left her—like a coward.

"What are you saying, mami?" Arzoo frowned, not understanding a word her aunt said. Arisha ran away, but why? Why would she do that?

So that means the wedding is off.

but why would Arisha run off? She was ecstatic about this wedding, even boasting that she was getting married to a handsome man. So, what changed?

"Beta, do you know where Arisha is? She must be here somewhere, maybe in the washroom?" Mrs. Urmi Khanna, her mother, asked her.

She looked at her mother, dumbfounded. "Ma, I seriously don't know where she is. And no, I haven't seen her."

"Why don't you ask Chiku? She's practically her assistant."

"Chiku wouldn't know. She went to pick up her friend; they couldn't find the venue."

"What? But, Ma—"

"What will I do now, huh? The least you can do is try to pacify the people, but no, you have to cry and create a scene in front of everyone. I get it, you're missing your father a bit too much nowadays. But that man abandoned you all a long time back." Her mami shot her a glance filled with pure disgust.

"I think we should call the wedding off," Arzoo said, her face still emotionless.

"What? Are you crazy?" Mrs. Tawania shrieked in horror.

"Then what are you going to do, mami? The bride has run off. Who is going to marry the groom—"

"The bride has run off," an unknown voice interjected. Mrs. Tawania's blood ran cold upon hearing the voice. She knew she had to do something; otherwise, this revelation had the potential to bring their family down, perhaps even to the point of begging on the streets.

✩₊˚.⋆☾⋆⁺₊✧

Next chapter: 09. 04. 24 

So this is the first chapter of this story.  Super stoked to get your thoughts and constructive criticism. Seriously, don't hold back—I'm all ears (well, figuratively speaking).

Tell me what's vibing with you, whether it's the characters, plot twists, or just the general vibe. Your input is like a GPS for this narrative journey, helping me steer in the right direction.

Ready for a wild ride? Buckle up, and let's do this thing. Your thoughts? Bring 'em on!' 

LOVE YOU, Byeeeeeeee

♡Anuska