Broken Jhumka and Broken Heart

◍⁠•𝐇𝐀𝐒𝐄𝐄𝐍𝐀'𝐒 𝐏𝐎𝐕•⁠◍

I woke up feeling slightly disoriented. As I walked out of the washroom after getting ready, I tried to recollect what had happened the previous night. I remembered waiting for Anubhav after dinner. I must have dozed off at the table. But somehow I had ended up in bed. Puzzled, I went up to Anubhav who was still lazing in bed and asked "Suniye, kal raat ko, jaha tak mujhe yaad hai main aapka wait kar rahi thi, aur shayad wahin meri aankh lag gayi. Magar mujhe nahi maloom main bed pe kaise aa gayi. Kahi aapne...?"

Before I could complete, he quickly replied "Bilkul nahi, Jab main aaya tab tum niche so rahi thi. Maine socha tumhe disturb na karu, to main chupchap aake bedroom mein so gaya. Haan magar aadhi raat ko tum khud uth kar mere paas aa gayi. Lagta hai tumhe neend mein chalne ki problem hai."

I was confused by his explanation but thought maybe he was right about my sleepwalking habit. "Sach mein?" I asked to confirm what seemed like such odd behavior on my part. "Haan sach mein," he assured. Still feeling unsure about what had really transpired, I decided not to push further. Perhaps my exhaustion had caused me to unknowingly walk to the bed in my sleep.

As I went downstairs to have breakfast, I made a mental note to observe if this sleepwalking occurred again. My mind was preoccupied though, since Chachi had informed that Divisa's boyfriend was visiting today for introductions. While the family conversed with that Nishant fellow, I couldn't focus much. My thoughts kept going back to the puzzle of last night. Something didn't feel right. I hoped I could get to the bottom of it someday, but for now I let it go reluctantly, not wanting to create a scene without proof.

I spent my whole day, wondering if I really had a problem of sleepwalking. I decided to take a shower to relax and clear my mind. I left my jewellery in the washroom, and went to Aarush's room to read him a story. He was the only one who made me happy in this house. He fell asleep in my arms, and I kissed his forehead. I wished him sweet dreams, and tucked him in.

I returned to our room, which was actually Anubhav's room. I had to sleep here, because I was his wife. Well, his fake wife. But for his family we were married for real. I went to the washroom to collect my jewellery. I found everything, except my jhumka. "Yeh jhumka kaha gaya? Mera favourite tha, maine yahi to rakha tha." I said to myself. I remembered that Anubhav always had a problem with my things. He would complain, or move them. I thought he might have taken my jhumka.

I went to confront him about it. He was sitting on the bed, working on his laptop. He had some files and papers on the bed. I asked him "Anubhav, mera jhumka kaha hai? Mai bathroom mein saari jewelries ke sath rakh kar gayi thi lekin abhi nahi hai." He didn't look at me, and said "Mujhse kyu puch rahi ho? Mai thodi na pehenta hoon." He was looking at his files, and ignoring me.

I closed his laptop, and crossed my arms. I said "Aapse na puchu to aur kisse puchu? Is kamre mein humdono ke alawa koi nahi aata hai." He snatched his laptop back, and said "Tumhare jhumke hai, tumne hi kahi rakhe honge aur bhul gayi hogi. Khud dhund lo, aur mujhe mera kaam karne do." He was being rude and dismissive.

I said "Oh really, meri yaadaas kamzor hai to mujhe ye kaise yaad hai aapko meri chizon se kitni problem hai aur..." He didn't let me finish my sentence, and said "Dekho, mere pass tumhari bak bak sunne ka waqt nahi hai. Mujhe kaam karne do, aur dekho waha koi drawer mein padi hogi." He started reading his file, and acting like I didn't exist.

I went to the drawer, and looked in each one. I finally found my jhumka in the last drawer. I sighed in relief, and got happy. It was my favourite jhumka, the one that Daimaa had gifted me on my birthday. It was very precious to me. But, my happiness didn't last long. I found out that one of my jhumka was broken. I felt a surge of anger, and looked at Anubhav. He was looking at me, and he looked guilty. He didn't say anything, but I knew it was his fault.