Chapter 13: Debut

Start from the beginning

Karl focused his attention back on Katie, breaking our eye contact, "Why don't we try a more natural approach?" Karl suggested firmly.

Katie bit the inside of her cheek in annoyance, "Like what?" She huffed.

A downward smile played on his lips as he leveled a calculated look her way, "I'm not sure. Don't I pay you to come up with stuff like this?" A cocky grin lived on his features as he said the words proudly.

I cringed, as I pressed the tips of my fingers against my temple.

There's no fucking way he just said that.

Katie sneered at him, "Fine," If looks could kill, Karl would be six feet under, "If you want to get an underwhelming amount of exposure," She cleared her throat, clearly not thrilled about the demand, "Then I would suggest beginning with being spotted together in a casual setting. Like a um... a party!" Her eyes lit up, as she began skimming through her calendar quickly, "Oh yes that's perfect!" She cheered.

Karl and I both leaned forward slightly to take a peek at whatever document she was looking at. "Karl, your friend Alex's party is this Friday! It's the perfect place for the two of you to make your debut!" Katie's excitement about the plan returned to her at once with her glowing idea.

Karl grimaced, looking less than thrilled with the idea, "Can we please pick any other party?" He begged.

"Nope, we need to get the ball rolling on this, we're working against the clock people," She said, already jotting down some new notes in her calendar.

"Great," Karl huffed, sitting back in his chair dejectedly, "How is this even supposed to work anyway? We just go to a party together and hope someone takes our picture?"

Katie rolled her eyes at him, "Of course not silly. I'll have people planted at the party, ensuring that you get your picture taken. Just make sure to stay in character all night, do whatever you need to sell the story!" She encouraged us.

My stomach swirled at her words, "Do whatever you need to sell the story!" My mind raced back to the kiss Karl and I had shared, butterflies erupting in the pit of my stomach as I fought the blush slowly rising to my cheeks.

I swallowed hard, "Is this the same Alex from your stream?" I asked hesitantly.

Karl blinked at me in surprise, "Uh yeah, I'm surprised you remembered him"

I grimaced at the memory and bit the inside of my cheek, "Kind of hard to forget..." I said softly.

Karl squeezed my hand in sympathy, understanding the whirlwind the last few days have been. I was grateful for his comfort, yet disgusted with myself and how much I enjoyed it.

I slowly pulled my hand from his grasp, desperately trying to loosen the addicting hold he had on me. My eyes locked with Katie and I heard my voice say, "We'll be at the party"

Katie smiled condescendingly at me, "Now you're starting to get it" She scrunched up her nose at me with her words, washing a new wave of hatred over my preexisting emotions.

What a cunt.

Before I could spew my hatred outwardly, Karl interrupted my thoughts by reaching down and pulling me and my chair to sit exactly next to his. Our legs brushed and I looked over at him in alarm at his sudden move. He didn't spare a glance at me, a cocky smile lingering on his lips before he said in a stern tone, "Katie. Let me make it crystal clear. I am doing this solely for Hailey," My eyes were as wide as saucers, "So whatever she says goes."

I had been denying any form of attraction to Karl Jacobs for months. But after that left his mouth, I had never wanted him more.

My mouth felt dry and I couldn't pry my eyes away from his profile. He had my attention now.