The Conversation

Natalie carries Y/N inside the house, his head resting on her shoulder as he sleeps after a long day of playing with his mom and Kat. 

She sees Ben on the couch and sighs, carrying Y/N upstairs to his room. She carefully changes him into his pjs, waking him up.

"When did we get home?"

"Just a few minutes ago baby," she whispers to him as he sleepily looks around.

"I go sleep."

She smiles as he lays back down, allowing her to pull the covers over him and tuck him in. 

"Goodnight baby."

She kisses his head as he yawns, barely keeping his eyes open to look at her.

"Goodnight mommy, I love you."

He sleepily kisses her cheek making her smile as his eyes finally close, sleep winning the fight. She kisses his head one last time before turning on the lamp, pulling the curtains over and leaving the room. 

She walks down the stairs and into the living room where Ben is sat watching TV. She sits down beside him as he takes no notice of her.

"Ben we need to talk."

"About what?"

He continues to watch the TV, which only results in annoying her more.

"About you and your 'work'," she says in an accusing tone.

He finally looks at her with an angry look on his face.

"What about my work?"

"The late nights every single night for the past few weeks. I'm not stupid Ben so just admit it."

"Admit what woman?!"

"Keep your voice down. Our son is sleeping."

"More like your son."

"What did you say?"

"You heard me! He only ever wants his mommy. Mommy this mommy that. He never wants me! And neither do you! I swear you can't have a conversation with me anymore without mentioning him at least one!"

"He's our son! Of course I'm going to talk about him! And of course he wants me, I'm the only one ever around! You're never here anymore because you're off sleeping with some slut from work!"

"SHE'S NOT A SLUT!"

"So you admit it! You're having an affair!?"

"Of course I am! You never want to sleep with anymore! You're always too tired from entertaining that child all day-"

"That child is your son too!"

"Well maybe we shouldn't have had him."

"You don't mean that..."

Natalie tears up as she looks at her husband. Ben runs his fingers through his hair before they both turn to the stairs to see Y/N walking down with tears in his eyes, looking at his mom. 

Natalie moves forward picking him up and rocking him in her arms as he rests his head on her shoulder.

"What's going on? Why are mommy and daddy shouting?"

"We're just having a conversation baby, we didn't mean to wake you. Come on let's get you back to bed."

Natalie glances at Ben before walking away up the stairs with Y/N. She puts him down into his bed, tucking him back in.

"Mommy why are you crying?"

"Mommy is just sad baby."

"But why?"

She kisses his head.

"Mommy is just sad with daddy at the moment baby, but we'll be okay."

He sits up, hugging her tightly which she returns kissing his head lingering her lips there as she tries to hold back the tears.

"You're the best mommy ever and I'm always happy when I'm with you."

"I'm always happy when I'm with you too baby. Now go to sleep ok?"

"Okay! Goodnight mommy." He kisses her cheek.

"Goodnight baby." She kisses his cheek before leaving to her own room.

As she walks in, Ben is already in the bed. She gets herself dressed and lays down beside him on her back.

"I want a divorce. I'll get my lawyer to get the papers."

She turns over in the bed, facing away from him as she shakes silently with her tears. The marriage she had worked so hard on, the family she had always dreamed of - all gone in the blink of an eye.

She knows it won't be easy and Ben will definitely try his hardest to hurt her as much as he can through the process, she just hopes he won't drag Y/N into their mess.