Chapter Twelve

"Yeah, Carl?" I asked as I opened the door just enough to pop my head out.

   "Could you tuck me in?" he asks, looking up at me with big blue eyes. I sighed and looked behind me, where Daryl was still sitting on the couch, and he silently nodded, standing up and heading towards the bathroom, shutting the door behind him.

   "Okay buddy, let's go," I say and finally step from the door. He shows me where he and his parents are sleeping. It was much bigger than Daryl and I's room, "Alrighty, lay down kiddo, time for bed," I say, and Carl lays down on the couch, and pulls the blanket up to his chin. I sit down in front of the couch as he falls asleep.

    After a few minutes of silence, I heard something from the room next door. I stood up and glanced at Carl one last time before slipping out of the room. I turn down the hallway and stand by the door listening.

   "Shane. Shane. Shane!" Lori cries out. At first, I was angry. It was one thing to sleep with your husband's best friend when you thought your husband was dead but when he had just got back three days ago, that was a whole different story, but as I started walking away, Lori said something that made me stop in my tracks, "Get your hands off me, Get your hands off me!" Lori cries again.

   I burst open the door, and Shane jumps back from Lori, who crumbles into herself. "What the fuck, Shane. This is low even for you," I snap angrily. Lori takes that moment to run out of the room leaving the door wide open. Shane's eyes flare with rage as he stomps towards me, and I back away as my stomach lurches. My back hits the wall as Shane's hands come upon either sides of my head trapping me between him and the wall.

   If I were in a different situation I would have laughed and the stark difference in my reactions with him vs with Daryl.

   "You're such a bitch, Abigale... but..." Shane trailed off as his gaze glided from my eyes to my chest. I squirmed uncomfortably. "But... you're also so beautiful, Abby. Now I don't give a shit in you're a bitch." Shane grabbed my hands and threw them above my head and held them there with one of his hands.

    His other hand now rested on my waist and slowly moved up to my breast as I squirmed trying to get his hand off of me.

   "Shane, stop," I beg. Unfortunately, he doesn't listen. When he decided he was finished with my breasts, he moved them down to my crotch, and groped, making me whimper in fear. I struggle hard to get my hands free but it's no use. I cry out in frustration, hoping it would be loud enough to alert someone. Anyone.

   Shane stops harshly and his hand wraps around my throat, not hard enough to bruise, but enough to cut all air from entering my lungs.

   "Shut up!" He hisses, and squeezes harder before releasing, and I gasp for air, getting lightheaded. My eyes flutter as he continues, I turn my head towards the door hoping someone would walk past and see.

   Almost as if some higher power was listening, Daryl walks by. Emotions run through his face. Confusion, shock, hurt, anger. Just before he walks away I struggle harder than before.

   "Daryl!" I cry out. His face contorts with rage and turns red as he charges and shoves Shane away from me. I would have dropped to the ground if Daryl hadn't held me up, pressing me against him, and I couldn't help but notice the difference between him holding me and Shane forcing me against him.

   "You're lucky I don' kill ya right now. Get!" Daryl yells at him as I tuck my head into his collar bone. Shane doesn't move for a moment, looking at me dead in the eye, a gash on his forehead where he hit the corner of the arcade style video game when Daryl pushed him off of me.

   "If you say anything, to anyone. I will come for you. And I won't be interrupted next time," Shane spat and stormed out of the room.

   Neither Daryl nor I moved until we heard a door slam a few rooms down. Daryl spins around, wrapping his arms around me softly, like I would pull away from him if he held me too tight, I close my eyes and press my face against his neck, trying to keep the tears at bay while my breath is fast and shallow against his skin. His body goes ridged, but slowly relaxes again, and he tightens his grip, one of his hands comes up and caresses the back of my head, petting softly, effectively calming me down.

   "Let's get you to bed," he says gently, I nod and let him guide me to the room we were sleeping in. I lay down against the back of the couch and hold out my arms to him. An invitation to lay with me. It was a bit awkward at first, but we eventually ended up with me laying on top of him, in between his legs with my head on his chest.

   "Thank you," I said as he played with my hair. He didn't any anything for a moment, taking a deep breath or two before answering.

   "He touches you, he goes near you, if he even looks in your direction again, I'll kill him," He seethed, trying not to let the anger into his voice and failing. There was nothing I could say to that, so I started drawing patterns on his chest with my finger. Eventually the tension in his body fell away with a small sigh, I was half awake when his hand in my hair paused, and he tensed up again, before relaxing against the couch. "Somehow you got under my skin," He whispered to himself. "Scares the shit outta me..." He said even quieter, barely a breath.

   He must think I'm asleep, because his head tilts down toward me and his other hand comes up to rest against my cheek, before falling away. I stir slightly and he tenses and doesn't relax until I settle against him. We fall asleep like that, and we sleep better than we have in weeks.

    When I wake up the next morning my head is pounding. I groan and shift against the body beneath me. I look up at Daryl, he's still asleep. He looks so peaceful when he's sleeping, not angry for once. I slowly start to get up, but his arms wrap around me tightly.

   "Daryl... I've gotta pee. Lemme go," I whisper, and his eyes flutter open and he glances down at me, and slowly lets me go, I stand up and walk to the bathroom, using the toilet, washing my hands, and I look at myself in the mirror. There was no trace of what happened with Shane last night, on my face at least. I look down at my wrists and like I had thought, there are dark purple rings around them. I sigh and walk back into the room, Daryl was sitting up now, and his eyes scan me up and down for any injuries, settling on my wrists and glaring at them.

   He doesn't say anything, but his hands clench into fists so tight that his knuckles were bright white.

    "Hey, I'm okay now," I say, from the doorway. He scoffs and stands, walking past me into the bathroom. I contemplated leaving the room, to see what breakfast this place had, but all it took to decide against it was the thought of seeing Shane and being alone with him again. So, I waited for Daryl, and we walked to the kitchen together.

   "We didn't come here for the eggs," Andrea says as we walk in. Dr. Jenner looked around the room as I sit next to Rick. Daryl sits a few seats away, next to Sofia while T-dog hands us each a plate of eggs.

   "Powdered, but edible" He says and hands me a fork. I dig in immediately, ignoring Shane all through out.

   "How'd you sleep Abbs?" Rick asked me before staring at my wrists. "What happened?" he asked worriedly, grabbing one of my hands. My eyes dart towards Shane, then Lori.

   "I don't know, it must have happened the otherday when a Walker cornered me," I lied, Rick was too hung over to see throughthe lie, but as I looked around the table I could see Carol looking at me.Carol glanced at Shane where his head was bandaged. We made eye contact, andshe smiled sadly at me. 

----------

1472 Words