Chapter Six

"Ed, tell ya what... you don't like how your laundry is done, you're more than welcome to pitch in and do it yourself," Andrea said and tossed a shirt at Ed, and he throws it back into her face. I stand up as he says,

   "Ain't my job, missy," He snaps.

   "Andrea don't," Carol pleads, but she doesn't listen.

   "What is your job, Ed? Sitting on your ass smoking cigarettes?" Andrea snaps back at him after she stood up.

   "Well, it sure as hell ain't listening to some uppity smart-mouthed bitch. Tell you what... come on. Let's go," Ed tells Carol, reaching out to grab her. I wish I could do something, but if I step in now, it could make things way worse for her. It's happened to me before, and I had wished they didn't say anything. Andrea calls to Carol trying to get him to stop going for her.

   "Andrea, please. It doesn't matter." Carol pleads.

   "Hey, don't think I won't knock you on your ass just 'cause you're some college educated cooze, Alright? Now you come on now or you gonna regret it later," Ed threatened.

   "So, she can show up with fresh bruises later, Ed? Yeah, we've seen them," Jacqui snaps, Ed just laughed dangerously.

   "Stay out of this. Now come on!" Ed yells. "You know what? This ain't none of y'alls business. You don't want to keep prodding the bull here, Okay? Now I am done talking. Come on," Ed says sounding final. If he gets pushed one more time, this isn't going to end well... Carol does as she was told with everyone saying that she didn't. Ed finally snapped because they were pulling Carol back to them. "You don't tell me what! I tell you what!" He yells and slaps Carol. "You think you can," Everyone stalled for a fraction of a second, before jumping into action. I reach out and try to get Carol, but Ed is to strong and doesn't even budge in his grip.

   "Let go, Ed!" I yell at him, and he pushes me onto the ground hard. My vison goes blurry for a second and sounds start to blend.

   "Ed?" Carol yells, and that's when I stand up again, and see Shane beating the shit out of Ed.

   "Shane, Stop it!" I yell at him, he doesn't listen, so I grab his hand before it comes down on Ed's face again. That was a mistake because Shane flings his arm out punching my left cheekbone and I hit the ground again. "Fuck," I mutter. It was gonna hurt for a while. "I think I'm gonna stay here for a second," I mutter again turning on my back and looking up at Amy who appeared out of nowhere and brushed my hair out of my face. It wasn't too long before Shane stopped and threatened to kill Ed if he ever hurt anyone again and stormed off.

   "Come on, let's get you up to the RV," Amy said, and helped me up to my feet, and we walked up to the RV.

   "The hell happened?" Dale said worriedly.

   "Ed and Shane happened that's what," I tell him, my head pounding. "Why does it have to be so fucking bright in Georgia?" I complain.

   Dale fusses over like the mother-hen he is for a while before sending me off to my tent to rest before dinner.

   Carl came to wake me up for dinner and we all sat around the fire, eating the fish that Andrea and Amy had caught in the lake. We were all laughing and eating more than our stomachs could manage because of just how much the sisters had caught.

   "I've gotta ask you, man. It's been driving me crazy," Morales says, looking across from him at Dale.

   "What?" Dale asks.

   "That watch," Morales says.

   "What's wrong with my watch?"

   "I see you every day, the same time, winding that thing like a village priest saying mass," Morales clarifies.

   "I've wondered this myself," Jacqui spoke up.

   "I'm missing the point," Dale said, still confused.

   "Unless I've misread the signs, the world seems to have come to an end. At least hit a speed bump for a good long while." Jacqui explains.

   "But there's you every day winding that stupid watch," Morales continues.

   "Time... it's important to keep track, isn't it? The days at least. Don't you think, Andrea? Back me up here," Dale starts, Andrea just shakes her head. "I like... I like what, uhm, a father said to his son when he gave him a watch that had been handed down through generations. He said, 'I give you the mausoleum of all hope and desire, which will fit your individual needs no better than it did mine or my fathers before me; I give it to you not that you may remember time but that you may forget it for a moment now and then and not spend all your breath trying to conquer it," Dale finished. We were all quiet for a moment.

   "You are so weird..." Amy says, and everyone laughs.

   "It's not me, it's Faulkner. William Faulker. Maybe my bad paraphrasing."

   "Well, I liked it!" I said as Amy got up.

   "Where are you going?" Andrea asked. Amy flushed.

   "I have to pee... Jeez, you try to be discreet around here..." Everyone laughs again as she walks way. After a minute Amy comes back out of the RV.

   "We're out of toilet paper?" Amy asks, before she starts screaming bloody murder.

   Everyone started screaming and scattering. I jump up from my seat and reach for my knife.

   "Shit." I say to myself. It wasn't there and a Walker was going right for me, I look around and grab a chair, trying to bash its head in with it. It doesn't work so I throw the chair at it and turn away to grab something else, but there isn't anything. I turn back to the Walker and try to push it away again, but my head starts to throb worse than before dinner, and it gets the upper hand on me and pushes me to the ground, my arms on its neck keeping it away from me.

   My arms start to ache, and I can feel them give out ever so slightly, before I caught it and pushed harder. I'm dead. I'm so dead. This is the day I die. The Walker stops moving, going limp, I throw it off me and see a Bolt sticking out from its head. I look around looking for him and catch his eye as he runs over to me and pulls me up from the ground.

   Daryl scans my body, checking for bites. When he doesn't, he shoves me behind him and backs me up into a tree, putting himself in between me and Walkers. When the gunshots stop, it's not silent. There are sobs coming from everywhere. Daryl turns around and shines a light into my face and I squint away.

   "You bit? What happened to your face?" Daryl asked sounding angry.

   "No, and I'll tell you if you get that out of my face," I reply, and he moves the flashlight out of my face.

   "Abigale!" Rick yells.

   "Abby!" Lori calls.

   "Abigale!" Rick yells again. I look away from Daryl, and he moves out of my way.

   "Rick!" I yell running to him.

   "Abby!" He calls relieved, and ran up to me and hugged me, squeezing me so hard it hurt to breathe.

   "I'm okay Rick. I'm okay,"

   "Amy! I don't know what to do, Amy, Oh Amy oh, no, no!" Andrea sob, she was on the ground hovering over Amy's lifeless body. Carl starts to cry and turns his head into his mother's stomach. I quickly wipe away the few tears the escaped, as I tried not to cry.

   Daryl and I make eye contact, and unknowingly, we were both thinking the same thing. That could have been me

----------

1327 words