Inauguration

The city hummed with anticipation as the sun dipped below the horizon, casting long shadows across New Highland City. In the heart of the metropolis, where skyscrapers reached for the sky like fingers of steel, a gathering had formed in the spacious plaza.

Jessie Hunt stood among the crowd, her heart pounding with a mix of nerves and excitement. Dressed in the sleek uniform of a hunter, her gaze swept over the assembled throng, taking in the diverse faces of her fellow recruits. The air crackled with energy, a palpable buzz of anticipation as they awaited the commencement of the inauguration ceremony.

Beside her, Asa Clarkson fidgeted with nervous energy, her eyes wide with excitement. Asa had been Jessie's closest friend since childhood, their bond forged through years of shared experiences and whispered dreams of a better world. Now, as they stood on the cusp of their new lives as hunters, their shared journey was about to take an unexpected turn.

The sound of footsteps echoed through the plaza, drawing Jessie's attention to the towering figure of Captain Elias Hundredth. Tall and imposing, with a presence that commanded respect, Captain Hundredth approached the platform at the center of the plaza, her gaze sweeping over the assembled recruits with a mixture of pride and determination.

"Ladies and gentlemen," Captain Hundredth's voice boomed through the plaza, amplified by the speakers scattered throughout the area. "Today marks a new chapter in the history of our city. Today, you stand on the threshold of becoming hunters, guardians of humanity against the scourge of the wanderers."

A murmur of excitement rippled through the crowd, and Jessie felt a surge of pride at the thought of joining the ranks of the city's defenders. For as long as she could remember, she had dreamed of making a difference, of using her abilities to protect those who couldn't protect themselves.

"But let us not forget the gravity of our task," Captain Hundredth continued, her tone sobering. "The wanderers are a relentless threat, their origins shrouded in mystery. They appear without warning, striking fear into the hearts of our citizens."

As if on cue, a hush fell over the plaza, the air thick with tension as the crowd awaited Captain Hundredth's next words.

"Our duty as hunters is clear," she declared, her voice ringing with conviction. "To stand against the tide of darkness, to protect our city and its people at all costs. Today, you pledge your lives to this noble cause, and in doing so, you become more than mere individuals. You become guardians of hope, beacons of light in a world threatened by shadow."

With those words, Captain Hundredth stepped back, gesturing to the platform where a row of officials stood, ready to administer the oath of allegiance. One by one, the recruits stepped forward, their voices ringing out in unison as they swore to uphold the principles of unity, courage, and sacrifice.

As Jessie stepped forward to take her oath, she felt a surge of emotion welling up inside her. This was it, the moment she had been waiting for, the culmination of years of training and preparation. With a steady voice, she repeated the words of the oath, her heart soaring with pride as she pledged herself to the service of her city and its people.

But even as she spoke the words, a nagging doubt lingered in the back of her mind. A doubt born from the events of twelve years ago, when a wanderer attack had left her with a power she couldn't fully comprehend. A power that had set her apart from her fellow hunters, marking her as something different, something... unknown.

As the ceremony drew to a close and the crowd began to disperse, Jessie couldn't shake the feeling that her journey was only just beginning. With a determined smile, she turned to Asa, her friend's eyes shining with excitement.

"Ready to make a difference?" Asa asked, her voice brimming with anticipation.

"More than ever," Jessie replied, her gaze fixed on the horizon. For in the world of the hunters, where every day brought new challenges and new dangers, there was no room for doubt. Only determination, and the unwavering belief that together, they could overcome any obstacle that stood in their way.