𝙩𝙬𝙚𝙣𝙩𝙮-𝙚𝙞𝙜𝙝𝙩; 𝙖𝙢𝙖𝙡𝙜𝙖𝙢𝙖𝙩𝙚

"I'VE GOT IT, I'VE GOT IT! Stop laughing at me!"

Avani, in fact, did not got it. It had been fifteen minutes. Fifteen grueling minutes of her trying to get up the stupid oak trees to no avail, while Avan sat on a branch above her and chuckled mockingly. Her bag had long since been passed up into the branches, as well as Vixen's old pack, which meant she was the only thing of theirs left on the ground. The sunlight was scarce, the only source of light being the excruciatingly dim sky as the darkness of night fell upon them.

"Do I need to come show you again?" Avan questioned, his arms crossed over his chest, a small smirk upturning one corner of his lips. His tiny feet were dangling above Avani's head, swaying back and forth slightly.

"No," She said, staring at that stupid little knot. Avan had done it on his first try — just pretend you're doing a backflip, he'd said. Avani couldn't make herself go high enough to reach the branches by jumping or kicking or whatevering off the knot like he did, whether she got a running start or not. "Would it kill them to drop a ladder in here or something?"

Avan snickered. "Why don't you ask them? I'm sure there's a camera around here somewhere," He glanced around the forest and cupped a hand around his mouth. "Hey Caesar! Will you drop this mediocre climber a ladder?"

"Avan, shut up!" Avani ordered, shaking a hand in his direction. A strange feeling blossomed in her chest when he directly acknowledged Caesar — Caesar Flickerman in all his glory, as well as Claudius Templesmith, were the commentators that watched the games and spoke to the masses about it, sort of like the announcers at a sports match. Avani had never seen anyone go as far as to talk about the cameras, let alone talk to Caesar. Though, the smile that was plastered on the child's face helped to ward off whatever bad feeling it was. "I've got it! I can do it! Just give me a minute."

"You've had, like, forty," Avan muttered, shifting into a different position on the branch with a sigh.

She gaped up at him. "I have not! Probably, like, ten!"

"Thirty. At least," He shot back with a snicker, blue eyes shimmering in the dim light. "I'm going to find you a tree with lower branches."

"No, I can do it!" She argued, but Avan was already moving. He stood up on the large branch he'd been sitting on and began walking across it, like someone from a circus on a tightrope. He didn't falter, didn't lose his balance even the slightest bit, and when he neared the end of the branch, he crouched. The thing swayed and bounced under his weight, but he didn't budge. "Wha- how are you doing that?" She gaped.

Avan snickered again, his eyes trailing across the nearby branches. Up in the trees, all the limbs crissed and crossed and meshed together — it probably wouldn't be hard for a kid like him to stay off the ground for the entire games, if he really wanted to. "I learned from the best. Stay with the bags — I'll yell when I find a tree you can climb."