Chapter 6 - Gun Pointed in the Back

For the next few days, when I walked into the store for work, and when I walked around, like walking to the front and going back and forth from my breaks, and getting off, I would look around to see if I could spot Officer Hanson. I did it habitually, pretty much. As I walked to the front after my last break that next Friday, I thought about the conversation I had with my older sister Ariel...

"Ask for his name and number the next time you see him," she told me on the phone. "He's a policeman, so he probably has a card."

"Yeah, but I don't want to go asking for his number like that."

"Alena, you've been talking about this guy non-stop to me through text and calling for the past week. I think you owe it to yourself. Plus, I think he likes you."

"He might be taken, though. That's what I'm hung up on."

"Then ask. Casually, of course."

I sighed and made it to the front. I was sent to register 11, which didn't have a register next to it, but the "As seen on TV" items. I signed on. I had no idea the next time I was going to see Officer Hanson. I gave myself a mental shake. I shouldn't worry about it. I had to focus on work. I had customers.

Three customers went through my line, then it was pretty dead for the next half-hour. I zoned around me, meaning I straightened up the candy, got items people left and put them in the pale under my register, went and folded clothes across the way...

As I folded clothes, I looked up whenever I heard a cart. Just another employing putting things away. I sighed. Where were all our customers? Time was slugging along.

I heard another cart, and I looked up to see an older man walk up. "Are you ready?" I asked, and he answered in the affirmative. While ringing his things up, he talked about his grandkids and plans for the weekend. I smiled and nodded and joined the conversation. The clearance kids' outfits he was buying were adorable and of good taste.

I gave him his total and he handed me some cash. I had my drawer open, closed it slightly, but not all the way, handed him his change, and he left. Once he was gone, I opened the register all the way and straightened up the money and made sure if I needed more cash from the cash office. My breath hitched when I felt something poking into the small of my back.

"Give me everything in there, and no one gets hurt."

Oh, no... My pulse immediately rose in fear, I felt my blood chill, and my hands started numbing up instantly. I glanced back at the man, then immediately looked back, hand tight on the register drawer.

"Did you hear me?" he asked in calm, but scary voice. "Give me everything in there. Now."

He poked the thing more into my back. I knew it was a gun or something. I gulped, tears searing my eyes. My mind immediately flashed to the training video. Stay calm. Give them what they want and do what they ask as to not put you or others in danger.

"O-okay," I said in a shaky voice.

He gave me a manilla envelope. "Put it all in here."

I nodded and slipped the 1s, 5s, 10s, 20s, 50s, and 100s into the envelope. A tear fell and I turned to face him. I held out the stuffed envelope and gave it to him. He snatched it and immediately ran.

Not believing that just happened, it took me a few seconds to gather myself before I ran from the register and to the front office where the store manager and two of the assistant store managers were, along with CSM Kristine. She noticed my teary and fear-stricken face. She stood up.

"Alena, what's wrong?"

They all looked at me with concerned looks on their faces. "I was robbed. My register was robbed. A guy came up when my register was still open and he made me give him everything." My chest tightened and a sob escaped. "He had a gun or something to my back. I had no choice."