CHAPTER 1: The Farewell

Start from the beginning

Also, is assigning mates that important? Why can't we just let the universe do its course? However, that's where faith in the Moon Goddess, who hasn't made a single appearance since she initiated the extinction of fated mates comes into play because by this it is implied that mates be assigned so werewolves of all statuses are provided their mates in timing like how mates were fated in the before time. It is to keep steady the status quo of the werewolf communities.

Swallowing down bile, I licked my lips and ran a hand through my long brown hair, my eyes sweeping the room for the last time while refraining from tearing up. That's when my father's loud and fast footsteps finally thundered the room, and I watched him go around my mother who was still holding my hands. I was forced to leave my mother's hands when my father engulfed me in a tight hug, making me a little surprised but then I sunk into his embrace and placed my head against his chest.

"As Jeff said," Father whispered against my ear as he brushed my hair with his large hands, "No matter who you end up with, whether he be an alpha, beta, or just a pack member, you will always be my little girl, and so I won't hesitate to fight against the whole pack if I have to if he were to harm a single hair on your head," he then pulled away to hold my head in his hands. His eyes looked deep into mine, "So don't keep any secrets," he finished and asked for confirmation through his bloodshot eyes.

I nodded my head with a frown, but inside I felt completely rest assured that my family had my back.

Jeff broke through our hug and grabbed my hands, I stared up at him expectantly to assure me of his protection, but what he said made me confused, "I'm sorry," he said sincerely.

Rebecca furrowed her brows in confusion at her mate's words, and I met her glance to ask her through my eyes 'what is up with him?' She just shrugged her shoulders and smiled.

"Jazz," Jeff used my nickname to divert my attention back on his face, his chestnut eyes looking a little sympathetic, "I'm apologizing for giving you a hard time while training to be a Beta, as an heir to the position, I'm trying to practice authority and I know I unleashed some of my wrath on you time to time. So, if I hurt you in any way, I'm sorry!"

I rolled my eyes, "Hey!" I finally exclaimed, "I'm just getting assigned a mate. So what if I have to move far away and live with strangers for the rest of my life? I will be coming back to annoy the hell out of you and Rebecca! You all are looking at me and speaking to me as if I've gotten a death sentence, sheesh!" I chuckled, making everybody force a laugh.

The irony of my words and how I felt at that moment is astounding because I did believe the latter. I believe this is like a death sentence. Without the actual mate bond to compel the male and female werewolves to be tied to each other with an extraordinary force, it would be easy for dishonesty and tragedy to befall all couples since the relationship of this generation is no different than that of a human's now. It would be easily breakable.

I was about to say something else when there was a loud knock on the door. Pursing my lips together, I gulped and watched as Jeff walked over to the door and opened it to reveal a tall man with a black headband strapped around his head, his eyes looking dark and domineering as he said, "The Moon Goddess team is here to take Jasmine Haze for the mating ceremony," as loud as his voice was, that's how deep it was too.

Looking around at my family, I almost let my real solemn feelings show, but I quickly covered it up and hugged them all again. For a moment, we all huddled in the center of the dimly lit living room, just cherishing the little time we had together before I left.

Finally, we pulled away and I walked out onto the porch. I noticed the same man who had come to take me had hauled my two suitcases with my names printed on the back, onto a big truck with all the other suitcases.