PREPPING

It was coming to the near end of September, and the trees around us began to turn into an orange and yellow hue as the winds grew stronger each day and colder each night.

Our preparations for our escape were almost complete. Each rope had been crafted, our items for survival were surely enough and crafted weapons made by Lucas and Nicolas were also included. Specifically a bow and sharpened sticks. Yuugo made it a plan to escape by November to give us some time to get more kids on our side.

So far all of the children from ages 6 and above had been told the secret. Each detail of the farm, demons, Mother, and even our plan was to be revealed in hopes of fulfilling our plan.

Lucas peered at me as we continued to walk toward the well adding more food and warm clothing to our stash, "What did you bring this time?"

I turned to my right noticing he had already been eyeing me. It was the middle of the day, Nicolas and Yuugo were training the kids outside playing tag while Lucas decided to help me stack up our stuff for our trip outside the farm.

"Just some more food and scarves," I looked away as we approached the old well in the ground, "It's going to be cold once we're out there I assume."

He smiled finding my concern humorous continuing the stare at me even when we made it to the well. I crouched down and took the long stick reaching for one of the bags to fill them up with the scarves.

"What?" I questioned his behaviour raising a brow.

He held jars of water in his arms as well as blankets that we tied them to on the bags.

"I never thought I'd see you this interactive."

I squinted my eyes at him insulted, stopping my movements deadpanning him, "Excuse me?"

Suddenly, the red-haired boy jumped in a rush, "No, I mean, n-not like that!"

I rolled my eyes playfully, snickering lightly as I turned my body away from him. Lucas then crouched as well and began to pack other bags. It was still awfully sunny and bright outside other than the winds that scrapped against the flesh of my cheeks.

"So you and Yuugo eh? Couldn't imagine how much you two must have fought when you first found out about the secret."

"Ugh, please don't remind me." I sighed heavily making him smile.

We both shared a heartful laugh, it was always easy for me to get loose around Lucas. He was sweet and kind to everyone, even if it meant that I was really nothing special compared to our other siblings.

"I can't believe it sometimes though, our life had been a lie," He sparked up a conversation rolling up the blankets while tying them to the top of each bag, "It makes me wonder if we would even have a better life outside these walls."

I hummed till silence filled us both. I knew Lucas was right about his conception. All of us were expectant of demons and other obstacles once we left the house, shelter, food and, water would soon be sacred for our needs since we would be leaving Glory Bell. It was almost like we had an even lesser chance of survival once we left the house forever.

Once all of the items I brought disappeared I realized I still had something left in my hands.

"Big sister! We found more fabric for the ropes!" Jatte yelled enthusiastically with Aiyanna holding rocks in her arms.

I smiled in relief as the two handed them over to me making creaking with each step they took inside the older kids' room. It was night and the two had been hiding it underneath their beds and decided to give it to me while many of the kids and Mother were getting ready for bed.