CHORES

"And where have you two been?" Mother's voice boomed across the entrance walls as me and Yuugo stood in shame at the door. Although she never yelled at any of us, her agonizing lectures made all of the kids shiver.

I looked at the wooden planks beneath my feet, now making it seem like I was interested in the floor to avoid eye contact with the ghastly woman in front of the two of us. Yuugo looked to the other side slyly cracking his knuckles with his hand inside his pocket, sweat-dropping feeling a sense of guilt down his throat. When we entered the house, the whole entrance was scattered with children running around everywhere, the window curtain had been knocked down, and every window had been opened with some kids playing hand games with each other while some cried loudly, and some in time-out.

Me and Yuugo were taken aback at the sudden mess we both left, only for Dina, Nicolas, and Walter to take care of. We saw Dina physically separate Stacie and Erica who had been pulling each other's hair out of anger, Nicolas being bombarded with children piling up on him finding it hilarious while Walter had to tend to the crying children who had gotten hurt from the window curtains knocking down.

"I leave you to look after the young ones for 30 minutes, Yuugo." She hissed making the curly-headed boy jump in surprise. Her head then turned towards mine menacingly, my eyes darted everywhere in the room but her eyes felt scared if I did, I might shrivel to the ground and die.

The two of us had been pulled away after dinner as the other kids began to dress for bed, the both of us stayed back to talk with Mother.

"And [Name]." She said out loud.

"Tonight, you will be doing your instructed chore as usual and you will also be doing Lucas's chore."

I opened my mouth to say something. Me and her both knew that it would take a long time to finish both chores, Yuugo and Lucas are in charge of sweeping the entire house including the kitchen, dining room, headquarters, living room, stairs, upstairs and the rooms in the morning. Surely me and Yuugo both knew we were expected to be up later than usual than everyone else as a punishment.

She sighed unexpectedly scrunching her eyebrow in stress. She placed one of her hands on her hip as she began walking away with her other hand resting on her forehead lazily.

"Please, get going so you can join your siblings to bed." She instructed one last time before entering her room, slamming it louder than she normally does.

I breathe out feeling somewhat relieved. Yuugo began to scratch his head angrily again, walking away to start his chores. My eyes followed his moving body.

"...Hurry up with those dishes, I'll be in the dining room sweepin'..." He called out not even turning around to face me.

I hummed in agreement.

"Yeah." I remarked before making my way over to Dina who had already started washing the dishes.

"Really, its OK Dina, you should go to sleep it's very late." I forced a smile out to make her feel convinced. After finishing up the last few dishes, Dina overheard me and Yuugo's punishment. Hearing this the girl felt bad, wanting to contribute to help the both of us.

"I know but..." She said still being persistent as I rushed her out of the kitchen and pushed her upstairs.

"Dina, please go to sleep, I promise me and Yuugo will come back to the bedroom soon after we're done."

She mumbled still full of worry. She blinked looking away while standing on the first step of the stairs which made her tower of my body.

"...I don't know..." Dina protested against me.